Cast iron cooking today..

bbqwizard

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Phillip
When the weather is a little chilly, nothing beats the warmth of roasted chicken in a lodge cast iron dutch oven.

Just fire up your oven, grill or as I prefer, a smoker to 375 degrees. For me, 270smokers fits the bill.

For this cook, I stuffed my redbirdchicken with fresh oranges, lemons and pink limes, seasoned it with spiceology mediterranean seasoning, and a little citrus salt. Fresh rosemary and thyme add just the right amount of essence.

In the bottom of the Dutch oven, a drizzle of avocado oil, carrots, and pearl onions covered the bottom to not only flavor, but act as a rack for the chicken to sit on.

Cover went on and roasted for approximately one hour. Remove the lid, brush garlic infused melted butter or oil all over the skin and back in it went. Check the temp after another 20-30 minutes with an thermoworks thermapen until it reaches 155-160. If you want a more golden color, you can place it until a broiler on a low setting until desired color is reached. You can also raise the temp in your equipment and roast further.

Place the dutch oven on a heatproof surface and let rest 15-20 minutes before devouring.

Last edited:
Daaaammmn!

This is clearly the place where potential food stars come to relax because they're too busy making a living at something they're pretty good at.

Daaaammmn!

This is clearly the place where potential food stars come to relax because they're too busy making a living at something they're pretty good at.

He’s already a Food Network Chopped Champion. I’d say Phillip qualifies as Food Star making a living as a chef.

Looks good. I need to try this.
You most certainly do. We almost ate it all in one sitting.
Mighty fine Phillip.
Thanks Marty!
Daaaammmn!

That’s quite the compliment. Thank you! There are a lot of talented people here, to find great inspiration from, and learn new thing’s.

He’s already a Food Network Chopped Champion. I’d say Phillip qualifies as Food Star making a living as a chef.
Thanks Joel. It’s definitely a labor of love.

Back