Brisket finish in the 180's??? Need Help....Again.....

so why would wrapping at X temp produce a dry brisket?

my WMS's are stuffed at a comp. plenty of moisture.

not calling you out bro, i just am not understanding what you're trying to teach.

You guys could pm each other....

No please go on.... This is good stuff and I am understanding the process better due to this. Some questions being asked is some that are running threw my head also. I use Butchers products and LOVE them. I no they work but I am understanding a little more. So please go on.

I just got done trimming my last batch of chicken for the year & celebrating!! So I thought I'd chime in with a drunkin post.
If your pulling the cow at 185 or whatever... you're not even to the point where everything has broken down in your meat (which is where the moisture n flavor comes from). It's no wonder you think it's dry.
It sounds to me like your cutting the whole process a little short.
I take my comp briskies to butter feel n throw them in a 28qt cooler. No venting, no nothin!! At 1:17 pull em out n wack em up.:crazy: It works for me.
They are usually pulled off the smoker between 10-11 am.

I just got done trimming my last batch of chicken for the year & celebrating!! So I thought I'd chime in with a drunkin post.
If your pulling the cow at 185 or whatever... you're not even to the point where everything has broken down in your meat (which is where the moisture n flavor comes from). It's no wonder you think it's dry.
It sounds to me like your cutting the whole process a little short.
I take my comp briskies to butter feel n throw them in a 28qt cooler. No venting, no nothin!! At 1:17 pull em out n wack em up.:crazy: It works for me.
They are usually pulled off the smoker between 10-11 am.

Congrats on being drunk and getting your chicken trimmed :p. I don't think anyone here (including myself) has said they have tried the "take it off in the 180's" yet. We were getting advice on if it could work and it seems the carryover temperature could bring the meat from the 180's to the 190's since it stay in a pretty warm cooler. If it does continue to cook in foil and the cooler fat is still breaking down.

You guys could pm each other....

sorry if you feel we stepped on your toes. honestly, not my intention, but when you have the attention of cooks like butchers and todd and they are willing to share with everyone...well, gotta bend their ear and listen. no need to to keep it private.

it seemed "on topic" as it wasn't aimed at a specific product, but, end goal of moist and tender brisket.

again, though, i apologize. i'll slowly back away from your post. :thumb:

sorry if you feel we stepped on your toes. honestly, not my intention, but when you have the attention of cooks like butchers and todd and they are willing to share with everyone...well, gotta bend their ear and listen. no need to to keep it private.

it seemed "on topic" as it wasn't aimed at a specific product, but, end goal of moist and tender brisket.

again, though, i apologize. i'll slowly back away from your post. :thumb:

Oh no problem. I know no harm was intended. It is impossible to ever completely avoid :p. It seemed like you all were maybe talking more about Butchers products (which I'll have to check out) and the effects with those. This post has given me all kinds of great info I was looking for and you asked lots of questions that helped too.

Another trick is to slice your brisket early, like right after ribs turn in and before you work on pork and let the slices sit in the au jus. They will absorb some of that liquid back into the product.

Another trick is to slice your brisket early, like right after ribs turn in and before you work on pork and let the slices sit in the au jus. They will absorb some of that liquid back into the product.

huh basic... but never thought of it, makes sence.

Thanks I will indeed give it a try :thumb:

Brisket is done when it's done. My first one was tough, but that's because I was cooking for temperature. I had one other come off "tough" and that was my first and only attempt at hot and fast brisket.
I've made somewhere around 100 briskets and they always come off tender (with the aformentioned exceptions)

I cook around 225 - 250 for APPROX 1-1.5 hrs a lb

A couple of things I've picked up.
1) ALWAYS rub your meat.
2) after the first 2-3 hours your brisket will not take on any more smoke.
3) foil after the first 3 (or so) hours and probe till done. You WILL know when this is. My magic number for most of mine is 210 degrees (in the center of the thickest part), HOWEVER this will vary and is ONLY a rule of thumb, do NOT pull until done, as this temp WILL vary due to many different factors, such as : fat and marbling content of meat, humidity in cooker, etc...
4) Always let your meat rest. I understand what others are saying above, how you want to cool it down quickly if your overdone, but to me "overdone" means it's falling apart. Pull it before then. The contrast between not done, and done is amazing, and you will notice the difference. Once you get this down, you'll want to pull just before "butter" so you don't have this problem.

Play around with injections, they will add a level of moisture and flavor to your brisket you probably didn't know was possible. Butchers is awesome! Get some. Try it, play with it, make it your own.
Most of all... don't give up!

Brisket is done when it's done. My first one was tough, but that's because I was cooking for temperature. I had one other come off "tough" and that was my first and only attempt at hot and fast brisket.
I've made somewhere around 100 briskets and they always come off tender (with the aformentioned exceptions)

I cook around 225 - 250 for APPROX 1-1.5 hrs a lb

A couple of things I've picked up.
1) ALWAYS rub your meat.
2) after the first 2-3 hours your brisket will not take on any more smoke.
3) foil after the first 3 (or so) hours and probe till done. You WILL know when this is. My magic number for most of mine is 210 degrees (in the center of the thickest part), HOWEVER this will vary and is ONLY a rule of thumb, do NOT pull until done, as this temp WILL vary due to many different factors, such as : fat and marbling content of meat, humidity in cooker, etc...
4) Always let your meat rest. I understand what others are saying above, how you want to cool it down quickly if your overdone, but to me "overdone" means it's falling apart. Pull it before then. The contrast between not done, and done is amazing, and you will notice the difference. Once you get this down, you'll want to pull just before "butter" so you don't have this problem.

Play around with injections, they will add a level of moisture and flavor to your brisket you probably didn't know was possible. Butchers is awesome! Get some. Try it, play with it, make it your own.
Most of all... don't give up!

All great into here. Another thing I may try is foiling earlier like you mentioned. The main problem I see with the "it's done when it's done" methodology is that in competition you don't always have time to wait for that. There is a deadline and you have to hit it regardless if you get a brisket that wants to go a lot longer.

All great into here. Another thing I may try is foiling earlier like you mentioned. The main problem I see with the "it's done when it's done" methodology is that in competition you don't always have time to wait for that. There is a deadline and you have to hit it regardless if you get a brisket that wants to go a lot longer.

You can rest your brisket for up to 4 hours, plan to have it (almost) done early, and increase the resting time if you need to. That's another good reason to practice using meat from the same vendor.... Consistency is the most important factor of any competition.

For the brisket I use, I pull off at 195 in the point. And yes, I have felt that "like butter" feeling but only a couple of times. Brisket has been our strong point all year. I know many have scoffed at the SRF briskets, but what I have won with them has paid for the brisket in all but one or two comps. After I started using them my scores soared. I had been using Sam's or whole packers from local butcher and well...just didn't get it done. First comp. I used SRF in, I got 3rd out of 47 in sevierville, TN and have only been out of the top ten twice. Once was a darn near DQ the other was 11th. The DQ was due to a question of rather sauce or liquid was pooling in the box. The rep. determined it was not, but our scores suffered. He told us that the 2nd judge questioned it. We got one good score and the rest was not so much good. We still go 29th out of 59. I was not all too happy because it had a great taste. Darn Jameson's Irish whiskey! I have since not taken a drink of it at comps. Although, I am having one now.

I heard people were having trouble getting consistent sized cuts from SRF, how's your luck been. We have used Wagyu and Kobi cuts before, but never SRF.

I heard people were having trouble getting consistent sized cuts from SRF, how's your luck been. We have used Wagyu and Kobi cuts before, but never SRF.

The Wagyu's we got from SRF for the comp in Yakima were 20lbs apiece! Biggest briskets I've ever seen. And they were awesome! We made two of them, they seem to prefer hot and fast, as we did them a couple of ways and the hot and fast were the best!

Back