Brick Stumps Style

We are invited on a hunt this coming Sunday, anything goes LOL from guinea fowl to giraffe, although we are hoping for a Springbok

no idea what a springbok is, but i'll be here ready to see you cook something cray cray. i think i'm hoping for giraffe. lol

No Grease Drain

We put a sand floor in under the hot gas outlet

may put one in later if I get tired of shoveling sand

Springbok

The springbok is a medium-sized brown and white antelope-gazelle of southwestern Africa. It is extremely fast and can reach speeds of 60 mph and can leap 4 m through the air.

Attachments

• Springbok.jpg
    Springbok.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 228
The springbok is a medium-sized brown and white antelope-gazelle of southwestern Africa. It is extremely fast and can reach speeds of 60 mph and can leap 4 m through the air.

You forgot the usual description...and taste like chicken

think we may have put the las / smoke outlet too high in the furnace area

Hard to start and when started very hard to control the temp we will be with adjusting the grating height to see if we can stabilize it and control the temp. Also for this size of firebox the 1 1.2 inch connection may be too small for natural draft. will know more when the CyberQ gets here

Must use charcoal. We loaded a charcoal wood mix. Toooooo much smoke. Will just burn charcoal now with chunks of wood in the ash pan for smoke

Some folks have pretty good luck with adding chunks of wood in with the charcoal loaded into the gravity feed chute. You don't need a lot of wood and it is pretty important the wood chunks are about the same size as the charcoal.

Also with the long time coming ut to temp issue, I would be tempted to make a separate ash pan and fire grate that could sit on your bottom cooking grate (by the way, those are heavy duty bada$$ grates) and preheat the cook chamber with a separate fire. When it is preheated and you are ready to cook, just pull it out and set it aside, fire up the gravity feed charcoal system and add meat.

Best of luck - that is a great cooker!

Thanks Dave, wonderful suggestions on both

Biggest problem at the moment is stabilizing the temp. when we built the fire box we made it 350 x 350 mm.. our smoke and hot gas outlet is 200x75 mm and the bottom edge is 175 mm from the grate. we think there is too much charcoal between the grate and the outlet to get decent gas flow though it, and the charcoal her burns very hot. What we are going to try is to raise the grating up and then see if we get a better burn.

your comment about the wood in the chute is very valid, we did that on the first burn and over did the wood and wound up with toooooooo much smoke LOL

Have a great day

Thank all. Appreciate the Compliments

We have huge interest in this already with 2 more in the planning stages

Will be posting a lessons learned on this as soon as i get my thought together

Today's cook just some beef ribs, local range cattle no hormones no antibiotics, just bush grazed beef.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 141
Back