Pizza Pot Pie

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
Did you know there is a National Pizza Month Throwdown in progress? Go make a pizza and enter, it's FUN!

Decided to try something I had probably 35 years ago at the Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder Company. A Pizza Pot Pie. One of the local news stations broadcasted something about it a few years back and now it's almost impossible to get in there.

Bowl, cheese, whole mushroms, meat sauce, crust. Bake & flip. Let's see how this turns out.

0hM40x4h.jpg

Heatproof bowl (hopefully), spray oil, I used brick cheese for this, saw a video that had one of the Chopped judges that vistied the place said they used brick, makes sense as brick is quite melty. We'll see, four thick slices.

TgFpdExh.jpg

A few big ol mushrooms.

BYUW3JMh.jpg

Meat sauce: Maters, hot Italian sausage, onion, & spices.

izSzGpIh.jpg

Cheated and got a dough ball, cover it all up and into the Big Joe at 375.

zqJ1kJih.jpg

yAjMCqQh.jpg

Looking good, but a tad overdone maybe.

3hp1zLHh.jpg

To serve, flip it over and remove the bowl.

FbZOUIbh.jpg

Turned out OK, next time I think I'll try it at 350, cheese wasn't quite as melty as it should be and the crust was way too crispy, was good for a thin crust pizza , but not for this. But you will need a fork & knife for this one.

TM5KIBah.jpg

Thanks for looking.

That's a good idea, looks good. I bet a shallow cast iron skillet would work well. I hate stretching pizza dough. I can never get it thin or round.

Been to Chicago Pizza Oven Grinder a few times in Lincoln Park - Chicago. My first experience there was probably around 20years ago with my family. The restaurant was packed and there must have been 30-40 people waiting to get in. The interested part about this, was the host was an old man and he wouldn't take your name at the door, he would just remember your face and the order in which you arrived. Another random fact about this place, is it is directly located across the street of where the St. Valentine's Day Massacre took place in 1929 (https://chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/history/).

Anyway, I saw you pictures before reading and knew what you were up to. Looks good, and I'd love to try this sometime.

Awesome and different take on pizza, Andy!

I remember seeing a YT video featuring the restaurant that serves this dish and how they made it. I don't quite get reason for using whole mushrooms, though...

About 18 or so years ago, while on a road trip, we stopped in Chicago specifically to try this after seeing a show about it on TV a few months before.

It was worth it.

Back