Hasty Bake Roughneck

Fishwater2002

Full Fledged Farker
Hi folks, I’ve been looking at drum smokers for a while. They seem to do well in comps, owners claim the fat dripping into the fire adds flavor, easy to move around etc. But I was watching a Chud video on his new mini Chud box & he claimed that his cooker is better than a drum or Kamado due to airflow which got me thinking, his point was very valid about choking off the air intakes to restrict flow & manage the fire vs his Chud box.

With that I remembered Hasty Bake introducing the Roughneck & decided to give it another look. The price point is very attractive, it’s easily attainable & also offers a deflector plate for low & slow. I know that it’s pretty thin gauge metal but the design seems more appealing to me than a drum (which is also pretty thin gauge steel) I like the fact that the grates are laser cut steel vs round bars or cast iron & the firebox is easy to open for adding chunks etc. So who has one & can comment on how it cooks? There isn’t much info out there as far as videos or even threads so I’m looking to the Brethren for real work experience.

I just checked out this smoker and it looks very desirable. I am wondering if you can access the 2nd rack without removing the 1st rack. Keep us up to date on what you decide and if you get it how it cooks. This is a cooker I could easily find myself interested in.

I just checked out this smoker and it looks very desirable. I am wondering if you can access the 2nd rack without removing the 1st rack. Keep us up to date on what you decide and if you get it how it cooks. This is a cooker I could easily find myself interested in.

From what I can tell you have to remove the top grate to access the second row but since it’s a two piece rack design you can probably just remove one of the grill grates & have full access to the one below it.

Back