Bought a new charcoal

effinUker

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Tim, Moon
New to me anyway. We were at a local Mexican grocery store yesterday to pick up beef back ribs, and they had mesquite lump charcoal on sale cheap. 8 1/2 # bags for $3.98.

200bf3bc-0178-4630-8af2-1e7c71949462_zpsoeapdozd.jpg

I threw one in the cart and my wife asked what I was doing.

"Well.. it's mesquite lump, and it's cheap. I thought I'd try it" I tell her.

"Only one bag? are you OK?" she asked.

I ended up with 4 bags, because well.. cheap mesquite lump. Only 4 bags because I hadn't tried it yet.

The manager overheard the whole exchange and asked me if I liked that charcoal. Told him I just saw it and thought I'd give it a try, but really at that price, how can it suck for what it is. I casually mentioned if I had space I'd consider coming back for a pallet.

"Let me know - I'll order it for you" he says. :wink:

I'm using it to grill brats later, I'll take some pix of the actual lump and add them to this thread. I'll let you know what I think. It might be worth loading up on.

Well crap.. I see a Naked Whiz did a review and gave this charcoal a below average rating. I felt like a blind squirrel tripping on a nut when I found it, but maybe not. Still.. fire.. meat.. can't suck can it?

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag65.htm

New to me anyway. We were at a local Mexican grocery store yesterday to pick up beef back ribs, and they had mesquite lump charcoal on sale cheap. 8 1/2 # bags for $3.98.

200bf3bc-0178-4630-8af2-1e7c71949462_zpsoeapdozd.jpg

I threw one in the cart and my wife asked what I was doing.

"Well.. it's mesquite lump, and it's cheap. I thought I'd try it" I tell her.

"Only one bag? are you OK?" she asked.

I ended up with 4 bags, because well.. cheap mesquite lump. Only 4 bags because I hadn't tried it yet.

The manager overheard the whole exchange and asked me if I liked that charcoal. Told him I just saw it and thought I'd give it a try, but really at that price, how can it suck for what it is. I casually mentioned if I had space I'd consider coming back for a pallet.

"Let me know - I'll order it for you" he says. :wink:

I'm using it to grill brats later, I'll take some pix of the actual lump and add them to this thread. I'll let you know what I think. It might be worth loading up on.

I use mesquite lump all the time (El Diablo, 40lbs for 12.99) because it is cheap. I use it in my Pit Barrel Cooker and the Weber Kettle. It works and my family likes what I cook so that's good.

Well, I did it. I used the mesquite lump to cook dinner. It looked pretty good, nice large chunks. Didn't have any debris in it that I could see, just a couple pieces of uncharred stick. I had to bust a couple pieces up to make them work. Started fine, it did spark a little, but not too much. Burned nice and hot. I roasted a party pack of Johnsonville Brats over them - direct on a raised grate. No burning, and the fire had plenty of life when I was done. i choked it out to reuse what's left, so I can't report on the ash content yet.

I may go get more at that price.

DSC_1064_zpscchfdlnz.jpg

DSC_1065_zpsm15dassw.jpg

096041a4-ac2f-44fa-b843-0fea91695df3_zpsyg0fr7ya.jpg

DSC_1067_zpsiiv4kbr3.jpg

DSC_1068_zpsfioamvnm.jpg

DSC_1069_zpstmonafrc.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good to me- and now you have a hook up with the manager to get you a case if you want. Pretty good deal! Especially considering the Rockwood that I use is $25.99 a bag.

Well, I did it. I used the mesquite lump to cook dinner. I roasted a party pack of Johnsonville Brats over them - direct on a raised grate. No burning, and the fire had plenty of life when I was done.

So the big question here is how did those incredible looking brats taste?

Looks good to me- and now you have a hook up with the manager to get you a case if you want. Pretty good deal! Especially considering the Rockwood that I use is $25.99 a bag.

I bought some Rockwood from firecraft. Burns hot as hell but IMHO not worth 2 ****s low and slow with beef brisket. It must be the maple?

I had my egg so hot with it the seals were on fire (wrapped all the way around to 300) lol... Great for steaks!

I'd trade u for some oak lump or the mesquite listed here.

BTW...your brats look excellent

Back