THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big George's BBQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
George
I have a relatively new griddle. It has a lid and is always covered when not in use. I am seeing some rust spots on the griddle and the back lip of the griddle. I always put down oil on it after each use. How do I fix this

I agree. I sometimes go without using my griddle for a couple of weeks or more (not a point of pride). I've learned the hard way to check it regularly and at least heat it up and spread some fresh oil. If I get some rust, I fire it up, do the water trick, then slice up a few onions and move them around the grill to season things back up. Onions are much cheaper than sacrificing a protein and do a good job. Just my humble $.02.

Treat it like a cast iron pan. You have to really "season" it if you don't want it to rust. I never use water to clean it. I buy kosher salt in bulk and dump a ton on it, and use a chainmail stainless steel pad to clean it. Then "season" it with oil after im done.

Treat it like a cast iron pan. You have to really "season" it if you don't want it to rust. I never use water to clean it. I buy kosher salt in bulk and dump a ton on it, and use a chainmail stainless steel pad to clean it. Then "season" it with oil after im done.

Interesting. Never heard that one before. I only use water on a hot grill to "deglaze" any stuck on bits. It evaporates quickly and I oil well before turning it off. I'll have to check out your method. Thanks!

When I take my blackstone camping at the beach it will get a bit of rust just overnight, from the humidity, no matter what I do. I use a bit of kosher salt in oil to scrub it off, then wipe it clean with paper towels until the rust residue is gone. Then wipe it down with a bit of clean oil and keep on cooking, no big deal.

Back