Blackstone griddle question

halfcocked

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
George
I have the two burner 22" griddle that I use once-in-a-while. Probably would use it more often if it wasn't such a pain to clean and maintain. Some of the coating is now scraped off the surface exposing bare metal that rusted since the last use. Anyone know if a stainless top is available for this unit? I can't find the answer on-line.

I got tired of my blackstone rusting too even though I seasoned and took care of it so I grabbed an all stainless little griddle top for my 36" gasser. I never looked back.

They have a line of different sizes so I'd try and see if something can be MacGyver-ed for your griddle. They are reasonably priced and are braced at the bottom so they don't warp. Solid products.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=little+griddle&i=lawngarden&crid=DAOJDQ8MVGWZ&sprefix=little+griddle%2Clawngarden%2C127&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I hate to hear that George, we were just talking about another flat top and we’re thinking about that one because of rust. Rust is what got our Blackstone rolled to the curb with a free sign on it.

I probably dont use mine enough I have a 4 burner- wish it was the 3 burner. I feel I seasoned it well, clean it well and put oil on it after each use. I have a the hard top and keep it covered outside but still get rust

Interesting. I feel I'm pretty neglectful of mine. I never did a crazy seasoning. It sits outside with a poorly fitted metal lid and is exposed to tons of humidity. And I haven't had any rust issues.

That said, when I replace it, I'll be way more aware of heat zones and likely get one that is thicker and cooks more evenly.

Interesting. I feel I'm pretty neglectful of mine. I never did a crazy seasoning. It sits outside with a poorly fitted metal lid and is exposed to tons of humidity. And I haven't had any rust issues.

That said, when I replace it, I'll be way more aware of heat zones and likely get one that is thicker and cooks more evenly.

Same here. I haven't used my 22" in a long time and it sits out on my back porch with a metal cover and I could probably go out and cook on it right now with just a quick wipe down.

I wonder if Blackstone has used different suppliers or grades of steel over the years.
I've been out of steel purchasing for a few years now, but it is/was as volatile as the stock market.
Unfortunately, almost all of the material comes from overseas, and all is not created equal, no matter how the material is graded.
My 36 is 5 years old and has never had a rust issue, but it lives in the garage.
My 17 was new this summer.
It's currently in the RV, sealed up for the winter.
We'll see what it looks like in a few months.

i've sanded mine down twice to reseason it, rust has always been the bane of it's existence, I've had it for 7-8yrs now I guess. I like it plenty but I agree that it's pretty maintenance intensive. I'm sure a large part of the problem is likely that we dont use it enough to avoid buildup of rust and stuff. I've debated selling it but every time I had those thoughts we do smashburgers or something and remember why i got it in the first place. :D

I almost bought one during Black Friday sale. Was not sure we would use it enough. It would have had to live outside under cover.

That’s a thought Terry.

We did everything your supposed to and never could stop it from rusting.

That’s a thought Terry.

We did everything your supposed to and never could stop it from rusting.

Same here. My 28 flattop on the gasser rusted like hell. 36 standalone wasn't that bad. 36 I bought 11 years ago. The 28 I bought 2017 rusted from the get go and that was with regular use and maintenance.

I hate to hear that George, we were just talking about another flat top and we’re thinking about that one because of rust. Rust is what got our Blackstone rolled to the curb with a free sign on it.

I have a 36" that will get about the same treatment, except I will give it to a neighbor.

I do have a 2 burner tabletop Camp Chef, and I feel that steel is better than the Blackstone. And it came factory seasoned.

so I've had my 28 for at least 8 years. old school model with a front drain and no hood or hard cover. it has an original cover, that leaks water. I probably use it 5 times a year. it sits outside with an aluminum hotel pan on the top to make a tent for water runoff. I've never had to reseason it and it never rusts. my biggest concern is making sure the top is sanitary because who know what crawled around up there in the months since my last cook.

I rarely use my blackstone but thoroughly enjoy cooking on it every time I do

so I've had my 28 for at least 8 years. old school model with a front drain and no hood or hard cover. it has an original cover, that leaks water. I probably use it 5 times a year. it sits outside with an aluminum hotel pan on the top to make a tent for water runoff. I've never had to reseason it and it never rusts. my biggest concern is making sure the top is sanitary because who know what crawled around up there in the months since my last cook.

I had the 36” version of that and the same experience. I put an upside down stainless mixing bowl under a cover that was starting to dry rot, seasoning was failing and I didn’t use it much — no rust. Maybe it was the mouse droppings I tended to find when opening it that helped keep the rust away????

On the new Weber, my wife bought one of those silicone mats (from blackstone I think) to put up there under the hard lid. I haven’t had it long enough to know if rust is going to be problem or not but at a minimum, it helps keep the surface cleaner to other elements.

I won't tolerate crud on the cooking surface and scrape all residue off after use. In places, this resulted in removal of the coating and that's where the rust occurs. I think I would be better off without the coating all together and certainly better with a stainless surface.

I have two blackstones and have never had rust problems. One travels in a storage bay of the motorhome and the other lives outside on the patio under the fabric cover. I treat them both the same after every use. I warm it up and drizzle a couple ounces of water on it, then scrape any food residue off with a grill scraper. I have a grill brush and grill scouring pad for any stubborn stuff. Wipe it off with a paper towel, give it a light coat of cooking oil and cover it up.

Back