THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

These are my "go to" in a pinch and I need a quick biscuit fix.
Not bad when baked in a CI skillet.

picture.php

I use buttermilk, lard, and self rising flower. Simple and oh so good, cant think of how much of each right now but I found it online

I second using Mary B's frozen, prefer theTea Biscuits 24 to a bag, excellent when cooked on cast iron. My nephew is a chef at The Grayfield Inn on Cumberland Island and he's known for his biscuits. Google Biscuits : A Love Story in Garden & Gun magazine and his recipe is in the article. I personally haven't tried because I honestly enjoy the Mary B's tea biscuits, so easy and convenient. I make killer cornbread but so far haven't tackled biscuits.

Ingredients
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 tablespoon fine sea salt
2 tablespoons sugar
12 ounces very cold lard
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
Method
Preheat oven to 425ºF. If using a convection oven, turn it on low or off.

In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Use a whisk to combine. Add the lard to the flour. Using your hands, a pastry cutter, or two butter knifes, cut the lard into the flour. There should be pea-sized lumps of fat scattered evenly throughout the flour.

Combine the buttermilk and egg and add to the flour-and-lard mixture. Mix just until it holds together.

Dust a wooden cutting board or the counter with flour. Place the biscuit dough on it. Fold the dough over itself two or three times, until it becomes smooth and firm. Dust the dough lightly with flour and roll out to a thickness of 3/4-inch.

Cut the biscuits using a 3-inch biscuit cutter and place 2 inches apart on a sheet tray. Mix the leftover dough into a ball and roll out again and cut remaining biscuits. Discard any remaining dough.

Bake for 15 minutes, until golden and puffy.

Yield
2 to 2 1/2 dozen biscuits

I use this, from Jamesbeard.org. Good old fashioned lard biscuits.

Attachments

• IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0934.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 102
I started my hand at biscuits 3 years ago. I started with a recipe from a friend, I've tweaked here and there and here's the recipe I do now.

We love em. Always turn out great......

This recipe makes 8-10 biscuits depending on how big you cut em. I usually double it because we have 6 in the family and they love these things.

2 Cups AP flour, sifted
1 TBS baking powder
1 TSP salt
1/2 cup butter (1 stick) or lard, cubed and COLD
3/4 cup buttermilk COLD

TIP: You can use regular milk instead of buttermilk, but I HIGHLY recommend buttermilk OR just add some white vinegar to the milk (about 1 TBS per cup of milk) to sour it. The acid in the buttermilk and/or the vinegar reacts with the baking powder better and really helps the fluffiness of the biscuits. Trust me on this.....

Here's how I go about it....

First, I measure and cube my butter. I go about 1/2 as thick of cubes as the thickness of the stick of butter if that makes sense. I'm kinda OCD. :icon_blush: I put the cubes of butter on some wax paper and put em in the freezer.

Then I measure out my milk, add vinegar if needed, put THAT in the freezer.

THEN I put all the parts of my food processor in the freezer. COLD IS KEY.
Next, I measure out my dry ingredients and sift them together. I put all that in the food processor (I use a Kitchen Ninja blender) and add in the cold butter cubes as I fill up the flour. Pulse the butter and dry enough so that the butter is "pea sized". Put it all back into a large bowl (or on the counter....just less messy with the bowl I've found....the bowl's already dirty anyway at this point), make a well in the center and slowly pour MOST of the milk into it. Mix with a fork until it is mostly incorporated and then mix the rest with my hands.

The key here is the amount of liquid. If it's too wet it will stick to your hands and the biscuits will be heavy and tough. You gotta have it JUST hold together as a dough ball so you can roll it out. If you over knead it.....biscuits will be tough. It's a fine line and a real "feel thing".

That's why I start with ALMOST the total amount of milk and mix. If it's still not holding together, just add just a little more liquid. If you add all the liquid and it's too wet....it's a mess and it's hard to get right. I like to start dry and work into it. Kinda like overshooting temp on the smoker. Better to ease into it.

Once you get the dough right....just wet enough to hold together.....turn out onto a floured surface & roll to about 1/2-3/4" thick. Cut (I use a floured whiskey glass about 2 1/2" diameter) and place on ungreased cookie sheet about 1" apart.

You can put them tight together but I like mine really thick so I have trouble getting the centers done if I stack em tight. YMMV

Bake in very hot oven (450d) for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately.

They take practice to figure out your technique, but these things are killer. I have NEVER had a bad batch (well....except for that first time when I used baking SODA instead of baking POWDER :doh:).

IMG_1479.jpg

Good luck!

biscuits01.jpg

My wife used the blue jean chef recipe and they come out awesome!

Buttermilk Biscuits
Meredith Laurence

Ingredients

2-1/3 cups self-rising flour
8 teaspoons (2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons) sugar
½ cup butter (1 stick)
1-1/3 cups buttermilk
1 cup all-purpose flour, for shaping

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 425°F and arrange a shelf slightly below the center of the oven.
Line a buttered 8” cake pan with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour and sugar. Grate the butter into the flour and stir it in to coat evenly.
Gently stir in the buttermilk. The dough should be quite wet.
Spread the all-purpose (not self-rising) flour out on a small cookie sheet.
With a spoon, scoop evenly sized balls of dough into the flour, making sure they don’t touch each other.
With floured hands, coat each dough ball with flour and toss them gently from hand to hand to shake off any excess flour.
Place each floured dough ball into the prepared pan, right up next to the other. This will help the biscuits rise up, rather than spreading out. You might need to do the above in batches.
Place the cake pan on the arranged shelf in the oven. Bake until lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
Brush the tops of the biscuits with some melted butter and pop back into the oven for another 5 minutes or so, until nicely browned.
Turn the biscuits out onto a plate, and then invert them again so they are right side up. Pull or cut the biscuits apart and serve immediately with some butter and honey if you like.

***NOTE*** We use 2 tsp sugar. 8 seemed like an awful lot but feel free to use as much as you like! The coolest part about this recipe to me is grating the cold butter, it looks like cheese, lol!

Just wanted to thank everybody, so much info and so many great options, I knew I could count on you folks. I'll start experimenting this weekend. Other than just wanting to add biscuits to my cooking arsenal, I want to able to combine good biscuits and breakfast fatties for cowboy breakfasts when we start working cattle this fall. When we work larger herds it is not uncommon to start with a crew of about 20 at the cowpens at dawn and I'm thinking good fatty/biscuits might help keep the cowboys motivated.

Back