Big Beautiful Bandera Butts

Looks great.

What did you think of the paper?

To be honest, it was the first time using the paper, and I don't really understand it. The bottom got absorbed with fat & liquid, got mushy, and fell apart even with a few layers (Used about a 3 foot long , 30 inch wide section for each butt and rolled them in it on the diagonal.) I guess the bottom is supposed to fall apart? It worked well enough though, the pork was really tender.

That's such a great book. I actually got it more for the stories and history in it. Can't say I've actually used any recipe in it. But it's such a good read....I've read that book probably 10 times.....

Awesome, then that's how I'll approach the book the first time as well :)

Hey Guys - I'm new to the Bandera Smoker - as in don't know much about it. How would you describe the way it cooks / benefits?

I'm planning on trying the cider blocks with that same splitter this Saturday, I'm happy to see it works. It sucks trying to keep a piece of wood up straight on uneven ground. Nice looking pork, hope mine turns out as well as your cook.

While I'm waiting for these butts to finish, I just opened up my Amazon package that contained a book that was recommended here: "The Legends of Texas Barbecue". It's a used copy I got for $4 + $4 shipping ($8 total). I'm excited, it's in excellent condition and the book looks good and feels great in my hands :) Gonna start flipping through the pages now! yay!

Any particular recipes you guys like in this book?

Love that book.

Vencil's Slow Beans on page 159 is the only recipe that I use for beans anymore. I don't use a crockpot, just cook them in a pot for 3-4 hours. I also add more salt during the cook.

Lonnie Rankin's Ranch Potatoes on page 147 is another that we make, often pairing them with grilled hot wings.

Have fun reading.

Yuuum that is what I call a plate of pork-a licious goodness!! We have created a BBQ Monster that leaves tasty treats where ever she goes. :wink:

Nice looking pork... As for the late night cook, this is why I'll probably never own a stick burner and why I bought the IQ for my WSM. I NEED my beauty sleep, even if it is 3 or 4 hours at a time...

definitely some nice looking butts, and shelf. I sometimes use a tire to hold my wood while i split it. keeps the splits from flying around.

s5y9g4.jpg

I wonder if the make a round version of that...

I was thinking it would be nice to attach to the WSM, but I am not sure it would stick.

Edit: The WSM's are aluminum based? Probably not...

Nice looking pull! That's the kinda SR i get on my mini but i can't fit 3 in that..lol Yea i never got the paper thing either.

Back