Bbq usa

I'm sure the editors have some tough choices to make to get things into a single episode.

The part that was the weirdest to me, was to see Gettin Basted on the leaderboard on the episode, but not mentioned when they were a focus on the PREVIOUS episode. Though, in. hindsight it could have been airing out of order from the actual competition dates. Still, shouldn't be hard to do a Symon voice over with a digital highlight of the score.

Amusingly enough, I've actually stayed at the RV parks for the AL Comp and the one in NJ. I had a long term project up in NJ, so probably spent 4 months there on 2 different occasions. Smoked my first whole turkey at that place!

I watched the episode where Michael asked about Alabama white sauce. It looked like someone from KCBS told him it was against the rules. Did I miss something?

This bothered me too so I figured I'd take a look.

Went to the KCBS site, typed in 'Rules', and was presented with a sign-in page.

So now you have to be a member to see the rules?

What my wife noticed, so i had to rewind, was that they had called top 12 in chicken to get a featured team in, when normally seems only top 10. And on second day completely skipped rib calls.

While we enjoy the show this was the first one that just seemed "off" a tad. I am not complaining, just wish they would have been more consistent with this episode and have shown rib calls or at least names.

I also felt like this episode was done a bit differently than the others. And absolutely no offense or insult to any of the competitors, but the turn-ins featured just didn't look appetizing to me. I had just finished dinner, so that may have been a part of it, but I just didn't want any of it.

The last few comps I've judged, the chicken entries turned out the stars of the judging.

Unfortunately, brisket is always the toughest to judge IMO. Most all the brisket has that grayish appearance once it sits and gets exposed to the air for a while. Plus, it's the last meat judged and judges are almost hitting their "max fill" line.

If all judges thought the way we do, BBQ would be more diverse at a contest. I will judge ANYTHING at a contest on presentation, taste, and tenderness, not on what I like. White sauce would definitely be a good change of pace to see. So would mustard sauce. Here is the problem. Outside of turn-in time, I have heard judges at competitions make the statement "I don't like mustard sauce", "I don't like the taste of vinegar", "if someone turns in pulled chicken, they probably messed up", and so on... Winning, means getting a whole table of people to appreciate your food all at the same time. If they keep the sizes similar, it won't turn off one judge who feels the two bigger thighs make the box a 7 instead of a 9. If you use a sauce that is balanced, leaning on the sweet side, it won't make a person say "too vinegary". When you spend $800 or more to compete, you probably aren't going to want to set a new trend at comps.

Now, on that matter, if all of the top champions would try to sway the norm by making theirs stronger on mustard sauce, and were still getting excellent cooked chicken it might help change the status quo? Or if cooking classes (I havent taken one) only taught techniques geared toward tenderness AND judges classes used a variety of sauces at their classes, judges might be able to adjust their thinking a little? Just a thought.

If all judges thought the way we do, BBQ would be more diverse at a contest. I will judge ANYTHING at a contest on presentation, taste, and tenderness, not on what I like. White sauce would definitely be a good change of pace to see. So would mustard sauce. Here is the problem. Outside of turn-in time, I have heard judges at competitions make the statement "I don't like mustard sauce", "I don't like the taste of vinegar", "if someone turns in pulled chicken, they probably messed up", and so on... Winning, means getting a whole table of people to appreciate your food all at the same time. If they keep the sizes similar, it won't turn off one judge who feels the two bigger thighs make the box a 7 instead of a 9. If you use a sauce that is balanced, leaning on the sweet side, it won't make a person say "too vinegary". When you spend $800 or more to compete, you probably aren't going to want to set a new trend at comps.

Now, on that matter, if all of the top champions would try to sway the norm by making theirs stronger on mustard sauce, and were still getting excellent cooked chicken it might help change the status quo? Or if cooking classes (I havent taken one) only taught techniques geared toward tenderness AND judges classes used a variety of sauces at their classes, judges might be able to adjust their thinking a little? Just a thought.

As a judge, I'd love a different flavor profile. It seems the best cooked meat tends to be the winner as most of the flavors tend to be the same. Most of our judging is NY, MI and Canada. We have judged in the UK, Netherlands and Belgium where we got into some new flavor profiles. It was quite refreshing.

The only thing in my cooler is a good bottle from the duty free for after the comp

You may be surprised on what judges like. I have walked in a contest with the following in an FBA event where traditionally sweet is what gets job done and almost everyone cooks thighs

Mustard sauce on ribs
Vinegar sauce on pork
No sauce on pork
Sous vide style chicken on pellet cooker with skins paper clipped to stainless steel to prevent shrinking and crisped up
Chicken lollipops

Many ways skin a cat. You get judges with open mind and anything possible. Now with all that being said 98% of time I stuck with standard cuts and candy sauce and won most sticking to this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Memphis In May episode and the whole hog competition was one of the best TV bbq comps I’ve seen. Everyone’s approach and different prospectives on how to bbq whole hogs was intriguing and just goes to show that even veteran bbq Pitmasters don’t always do things the same way, but the end results can still be impressive. To see Mike Johnson, Myron Mixon and Melissa Cookston, just to name a few of the bbq competitors, compete was nice. I think the Memphis In May episode is the season finally….

The Memphis In May episode and the whole hog competition was one of the best TV bbq comps I’ve seen. Everyone’s approach and different prospectives on how to bbq whole hogs was intriguing and just goes to show that even veteran bbq Pitmasters don’t always do things the same way, but the end results can still be impressive. To see Mike Johnson, Myron Mixon and Melissa Cookston, just to name a few of the bbq competitors, compete was nice. I think the Memphis In May episode is the season finally….

It would be a good one to end on! I think it's really neat how each episode was a very different competition style. The way people did the hogs on this was very neat to see. And I've been to Sugarfire and The Shed (which was NOT good) so it was cool to them on the show.

I enjoyed all the episodes.

I do think it highlights how far bbq has strayed from its roots, while also showing sometimes, old school is the best school.

This last episode with Blues Hog winning whole hog using Mega drums was very interesting.
Cooking a pig on a drum is very close to how it is cooked in NC. Hog was never traditionally cooked in an offset smoker.
Directly over coals in an enclosed environment is how it was and still is done.

What was surprising was how Michael Symon played it up as this whole new way of cooking hog. Of course it is television.

I'm not in anyway part of the competition scene, but i really like the show. Probably the best bbq show I've seen on tv. Micheal Symon is a great host too. He shows some of the commaradarie and fun that is involved as well as the serious competition. Maybe they could get into how much it costs. I sit there and say to myself, i could just pitch a tent, have a pop up shelter and my drum, and a couple fold up tables. Are the entry costs that high? I don't know anything of that world, but i find it fascinating.

I'm not in anyway part of the competition scene, but i really like the show. Probably the best bbq show I've seen on tv. Micheal Symon is a great host too. He shows some of the commaradarie and fun that is involved as well as the serious competition. Maybe they could get into how much it costs. I sit there and say to myself, i could just pitch a tent, have a pop up shelter and my drum, and a couple fold up tables. Are the entry costs that high? I don't know anything of that world, but i find it fascinating.

No, don't show the costs!! My wife will know that I spend more than I let on. I currently cook backyard comps and my entry fee is $150-$200, not counting the 3 meats, charcoal, sauces, rubs, etc. If I am within a decent drive home, I'll set up, go back home and shower and sleep and return early to get started. I don't know if I will ever own any of the big rigs that some of the other teams have, but I am content. The pro teams will pay at least $100 more for entry fees and if they buy wagyu briskets to cook, easily $200-$300 for that.

Reminds me of a thread here that went well over into Hell and a hand basket territory.

Was it Dr BBQ, or maybe Jim Minion, who totally went off on this guy (won't name him) and called him out on his 50 free meals credential and justifying taking little nibbles to save as much as possible to take home.

Spotting him walking into (out of) the judges tent with his cooler only added fuel to the fire.

That thread has been scrubbed, but damn was it a good read.

Oh well.

OMG, does this ever bring back memories. One of my favorites threads for sure. Takes me back to the good ole days of the Brethren. Thanks Bill for jogging my memory.

BOT: Some good ideas here about judging. How about awarding creativity points to those who cook outside the box and turn in something new and different?

Last edited:
I have thoroughly enjoyed the show too. I feel like Michael Symon is a really good host. I've liked him in most shows I've watched. I also feel like some of the cookers are willing to tell a little more on this show versus others.

Michael Symon is one of the most genuinely cool celebrities imaginable. When he was opening Mabel's in Cleveland I shouted him out on Twitter and he invited me to ask for him when we stopped in. So, naturally I asked our waitress (expecting nothing) and he came out to meet us. He gave us a tour of the kitchen, showed off his smokers, gave me some tips, and just hung out chatting BBQ for a good half hour to an hour. It was a BLAST. Also he makes some damned fine BBQ.

The BBQ at Mabel's is as uniquely flavored as you'll find, focusing on Eastern European/Cleveland style flavors (with a ballpark mustard based sauce), but it is fantastic. His is easily the best executed Brisket & ribs I've ever eaten out.

Back