BBQ sauce question

If you're looking for something very traditional with artificial smoke flavorings, one of the best that I've found is Head Country Original. I use it in my brunswick stew all the time. I'm very fond of Blues Hog original (sugary sweet but very good) and Blues Hog Tennessee Red is my favorite in the vinegary sauce realm, but recently I've tried Swamp Boy's and frankly it's got a lot of the goodness from Blues Hog original but toned down a little... I'd try this first.

We also use Swamp Boys Original at home and at competitions. If you get ahold of Rub directly you can get the gallon jugs. Love it!

Blues hog is awesome, but it's real thick. Check out www.atlantabbqstore.com for a whole array of sauces, he sells quite a few in gallon or half gallon jugs. I'm kind of partial to Yes,Dear Red sauce :-D but we don't sell it in gallons (but there is a brethren discount).

Tell me more about the brethren discount on atlbbqsauce? Thanks!

Me Too........

This is probably brethren blasphemy, but if I don't make it myself.......... 75% KC Masterpiece (that's right...I said it) 20% Blues Hog original (white and blue label), 5% white vinegar. For CHICKEN. Nothing, and I mean nothing, with any liquid smoke.

Damn, now I want some wings.

Big Butz sauces.

Order a half dozen pints of different flavors and buy a gallon of what you really like. (I think they sell gallons)

The hot is good, but not too hot. The extra hot is what I like on my pulled pork sammies. The No Butz is hot, and oh so freaking good! The cranberry is my fave on chicken.

My wife, MIL and daughter like Head Country Original so we use a lot of it. I like Blues Hog TN Red for pulled pork.

Big Butz makes a great sauce with ghost peppers if you're into hot.

Last edited:
Ok allboy, you asked, and received about 25 recommendations. Now what cha gonna do?

We'll, thanks for all the great input. It looks like the people like Blues hog, or swamp boys the most. I do like that kinders from Costco, but of course they stopped carrying it at my store. After looking at the prices with shipping I think I might be making my own in the near future. Not cheap. Not sure how others feel, but in the past I have had a hard time coming close in taste to many of the over the counters sauces I have tried.

I've really been enjoying Patriot sauce by Code 3 Spices. It seems to be my go to lately. I believe they sell it in gallons.

We'll, thanks for all the great input. It looks like the people like Blues hog, or swamp boys the most. I do like that kinders from Costco, but of course they stopped carrying it at my store. After looking at the prices with shipping I think I might be making my own in the near future. Not cheap. Not sure how others feel, but in the past I have had a hard time coming close in taste to many of the over the counters sauces I have tried.

Check your local World Market out come May when they should be getting their BBQ stuff in. Last year they started carrying Blues Hog (original and Tennessee Red). About $5 for a pint as I recall and at the end of summer a number of us on the forum scored when they cleared 'em out at 1/2 off. Hopefully that was a seasonal thing and not a sign that they will not carry BH anymore.

I meant there's a brethren discount for Yes Dear Sauces (my sauces).

I knew what you meant. I've been sending Yes Dear as gifts for a while, but a discount would be nice for future orders. Thanks for the information on the discount. I've been meaning to buy some to try for myself, now I have an incentivize to place another order with Randy to restock my own cabinet.

I knew what you meant. I've been sending Yes Dear as gifts for a while, but a discount would be nice for future orders. Thanks for the information on the discount. I've been meaning to buy some to try for myself, now I have an incentivize to place another order with Randy to restock my own cabinet.

Awesome! I really appreciate the support!

Back