BBQ pizza, anybody with a good sauce?

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Viet King Cong
For anyone doing bbq pizza, do you use a bottle of your favorite sauce straight up or make a special mixture with bbq sauce/marinara? I just tried a pulled pork pizza with SBR and it was downright nasty.

Best I’ve found

1 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup beer
1 cup ketchup
2/3 cup Dark Brown Sugar firmly packed
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon red pepper sauce

With pulled pork I used Tomatillo Salsa. The citrus cut the richness.....our niece dunked hers in Ranch and seemed pleased with the results....

If interested Google Papa Murphys white pizza sauce. There are knock offs online. My wife gets their chicken pizza with white sauce several times per year. On the rare occasion I order a pizza for me it’s with no sauce extra cheese.

Last edited:
I use a white sauce then drizzle favorite bbq sauce on top
I can't stand it being so sweet so the white sauce helps cut that.

Last edited:
Our favorite for grilled pizzas, is to skip the sauce. I use a herbed olive oil (or just olive oil, and season it with garlic, pepper, thyme, etc) parmesan, and mozzarella. Sometimes I mix in cheddar, or just use it on the toppings.

If I was doing pulled pork pizza, I'd do the base as above, and then top it in the same manner as Whisky with a drizzle of sauce.

Not surprised you didn't like SBR on it...way too sweet!

My favorite bottled BBQ sauces for BBQ pizza's are actually ones that aren't that sweet.

Try a light coating of Stubbs Hot and Spicy

I will say salsa/tomatillo salsa is also excellent.

I will answer your question with a question. Do you like sweet sauce or tangy sauce. I havent ever made a bbq pizza, because I will be the only taker, and I have only ever eaten them because other people wanted to. I like anything on pizza, I just dont go with bbq sauce.

I would say that your preference rules. I would say that a good tangy/spicy sauce would balance bread, meat, cheese, and veggies that you put on a pizza. If you have a sweet sauce, mix with vinegar or (for example blues hog red) vinegar sauce. You could also mix sweet bbq sauce with some Frank's or your favorite pepper sauce for a good flavored sauce.

For anyone doing bbq pizza, do you use a bottle of your favorite sauce straight up or make a special mixture with bbq sauce/marinara? I just tried a pulled pork pizza with SBR and it was downright nasty.

I mix bbq sauce with marinara--usually about 50/50. The marinara cuts the twangy sweetness of the bbq sauce, but otherwise just disappears into the background.

I mix bbq sauce with marinara--usually about 50/50. The marinara cuts the twangy sweetness of the bbq sauce, but otherwise just disappears into the background.

I mix 50/50 with pizza sauce, so very similar.

Back