BBQ Pitmasters 2014

I'm wondering if the show requires the pitmasters to use the pits provided to them (option of stick burner or gravity fed smoker)

All 3 patio langs were the same exact ones. And the gravity fed smokers were the same exact Stumps smokers. I'm not sure if this is coincedence since they are in Georgia or if this is a show thing.

Also I remember Rollin Grill last season had a much bigger trailer stick burner. I can't remember what Rescue BBQ cooked on last year.

The teams that compete have to bring everything they use. The show doesn't provide anything but the food. And you cannot use a pit mounted on a trailer. Personal experience.

I have mixed feelings about this series.
I hate the dialog. Especially the continuous "full naming" of the meats. :evil:
As to the Salmon on this episode, I have no idea where they came up with the idea that it was a GA meat.
But, it is a perfectly acceptable product to give the teams.
What was obvious was that all teams cooked the Salmon just fine! 8)
Anyone who competes at that level should be able to cook almost anything given them and they all did that just fine! 8)

I loose no sleep whatsoever over what folks on the WWW declare what something is called--BBQ, Grilled, Smoked, or whatever.

If the series was restricted to what "someone" defines or desires as "BBQ", it would be incredibly boring to me and not a challenge to the cooks! :evil:

It is entertainment and nothing more.
I think they succeed on that level.

And, there is a boatload of money for someone who can actually cook on wood no matter what the producers choose.

JMHO

TIM

I just told Myron that y'all wanted to know what salmon had to do with GA BBQ.
His response "me too."
The production folks decide on the products and give the competitors a list of meats (or fish) they could possibly be given so they can be prepared.
Personally, I think maybe rainbow trout may have been more appropriate or catfish.
Naturally, I enjoy the show and learn something every time I watch.

I agree, salmon is acceptable for a grilling show, it was the "Georgia BBQ" association of it that really had me laughing AT it. I know if I did it, I'd bring along the grills, just in case...

There's a nice lady who apparently is involved with the casting of the show who inquired last year to see if I was interested. Honestly, on a good day, I think I can cook with those guys without flinching, BUT I really dont want to cook some of those bizarre things they're seeing. If they brought back the first series format, or perhaps kept this to BBQ meats, I'd probably submit a video... Georgia has a LOT of great competitors, and we've seen a tiny trickle of them here. I'm thinking the bringing back two competitors probably has more to do with the inability to attract these teams to this format...

The teams that compete have to bring everything they use. The show doesn't provide anything but the food. And you cannot use a pit mounted on a trailer. Personal experience.

Are you sure? People on the previous seasons (after season 1) had trailer pits. Johnny Trigg was using his Jambo trailer, Jamie Greer was using a Jambo trailer, and Rod Grey was using a Jambo Trailer.

Unless they changed the rules this season they have had trailer mounted pits in the past.

I think he means mounted on a completely separate trailer. However, I wonder, did they really bring their own cedar planks to the last one?

It is really the only "reality" show I watch and it is mostly entertaining. I saw no problem with them being presented salmon for the cook, only had a problem with Myron saying "sal-mon" everytime he said it...

I think he means mounted on a completely separate trailer. However, I wonder, did they really bring their own cedar planks to the last one?

One of the past competitors said in an interview that they are given a list of potential meats that they will be given, so the competitors bring whatever they think they may need (which explains why all the teams had sawzalls to cut through ribs on the whole hog). So Robby could have seen salmon on the list and thought to bring cedar planks.

It is really the only "reality" show I watch and it is mostly entertaining. I saw no problem with them being presented salmon for the cook, only had a problem with Myron saying "sal-mon" everytime he said it...

See, we dont even know how to pronounce that stuff. Tastes great, especially in sushi, but it ain't FROM HERE. Salmon = GA BBQ like... Anyway, on to next weeks fun.

For me, it's better than the 2nd season. Yeah, it's still a bit reality TV-ish, but not terrible... Now, when they bring their wives on and swap pit-partners and have an elimination based on a race to the grill, I'm out.

I didn't take them as saying salmon was typical GA BBQ but they wanted it prepared in a GA BBQ fashion...that they were looking for the pitmasters to impart a GA BBQ flare to this surprise "meat".

In the end to me it is a cooking reality show. I like to see how they trim and treat the meats and what temperatures they like to cook at.

I take something away from all the cooking reality shows I watch (especially top chef and chopped)

I don't have a problem with the format. They are doing it for the masses and not just the bbq hardcore. I even accept the dramatic "pit not coming up to temperature" and "meat might not get to target internal temperature" problems that are added effect.

As much as we were shaking our heads at "GA Salmon" as well (yes, my husband pronounces it the same way Myron did...must be a GA thing), I do enjoy watching the show to get a variation on how each cook team prepares different meats. I see the salmon as being a "challenge" meat, and would prefer they don't try to make it a regional thing and just present it, but I'm not one of the producers :).

MOST of us would prefer them to go back to the season 1 format, but think about their viewership as a whole...it's probably a lot larger than BBQ cooks (BY and competitor) so they need to appeal to the whole populous. I would beg to believe that many of those people don't understand competition BBQ, and this format is more appealing to the rest of the world because it is more of a cooking show.

With that all being said, we still watch it and will continue to do so unless they go super crazy with the format, because I love to see other people's take on the same foods we cook at home...it's a great way to pick up on other flavor profiles to try.

I didn't take them as saying salmon was typical GA BBQ but they wanted it prepared in a GA BBQ fashion...that they were looking for the pitmasters to impart a GA BBQ flare to this surprise "meat".

But... Typical GA fish is fried. Or raw (as in sushi)....

We dont BBQ fish!!!!

Back