Bacon question

SMOKE FREAK

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Craig
Cold smoking my first bacon tomorrow. Finally getting above 10 degrees.

The only question I haven't found an answer to is this. Does it matter which direction I run it through the slicer.

For me, the best slices are transverse (90°) to the length. So, if you position a pork belly with the length running east-to-west, your individual slices will be cut in the north-south direction.

I typically slice a belly into thirds and I can see how my slices will look. This is a belly before curing

XqwnAwl.jpg

And here are slices

xJnFUNA.jpg

EDIT, this is a better visual: This is where I cut into thirds, and this is also my slicing diretion. the piece on the right is fattier, so I'll get a few slices, the rest I cut into cubes for bacon burnt ends or to put in beans, greens, or soup.

VrsyLzd.jpg

M9FodlZ.jpg

Last edited:
I'll just add that it does matter. I think the belly has 2 muscles going in opposite direction. So theoretically it wouldn't matter because one way will be across the grain. But my last belly was only a 5 lb half belly. I think I sliced in the opposite direction that I usually do. It should be done as in the post above.

Anyhow, my bacon definitely had some long stringy fibers when eating it.

Initially I freaked out as it's obvious.

But Aussie Bacon... "Middle Bacon" has the loin muscle in it, so that's obvious.

What we call "Streaky Bacon" is just the belly, so that's less obvious. Third Eye nails it.

Again!

Cheers!

Bill

Back