Beef Bacon Question

AmbrosiaBBQ

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Wetzel
Hi All, I’m an avid lurker, not much of a poster.

I have question though because I can’t find anything on here, which surprised me, or really anywhere else for that matter.

I was cleaning and organizing the freezer and came across this Godshall’s beef bacon 3 packs(not sure where it came from or who in the household purchased it) :roll: but was wondering if anyone has try to make jerky out of it and if so how it turned out.

I’m gonna give it a shot regardless but was just curious. Thanks!

Attachments

• 3E79AD7F-0A80-4899-A97F-F5648EA647DE.jpg
    3E79AD7F-0A80-4899-A97F-F5648EA647DE.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 130
Keep in mind that although it says "uncured", the key words are "No Nitrites / Nitrates Added". I would assume that like most other "UNCURED" meats, they have celery concentrates added which contain high levels of nitrite.

If this is the case it may taste more like chipped beef / corned beef than traditional jerky. I agree wit ModelMaker, it might be best served as a beef bacon product.

I've had beef bacon from navels, and it's incredibly tasty.

Why not both? Have some breakfast, then smoke some jerky.

I'll paraphrase Biggie Smalls, 'Ya won't know, 'til ya know'

Give it a try. Worst that happens, you lose meat, but learn.

My 2 pennies.

Matt

I have tried it as bacon first but to eat it and wasn’t a huge fan, it just seemed like a jerky texture. I have seen bacon jerky recipes but I’m not sure they would match.. I’ll try to post updates if I remember lol

It's mostly cured as Ian says. It's a common substitute for pork bacon for Muslims. I quite like it. As jerky... just make some real jerky. Fry this up for breakfast or (better yet) add it to Chili.

Cheers!

Bill

I have tried it as bacon first but to eat it and wasn’t a huge fan, it just seemed like a jerky texture. I have seen bacon jerky recipes but I’m not sure they would match.. I’ll try to post updates if I remember lol

I'm guessing that the jerky texture is due to the fact that the meat is ground/roughly chopped and them formed in a press while heating and then sliced. Yes, it wouldn't appear to be slices meat because it's "Formed"

If you didn't like it as it was designed, try something (or several somethings) different with it.

keep us posted.

Add Pita bread, cucumber sauce, lettuce, onion, tomato. And a bit of Oregano while heating up the bacon. All beef gyros.

Back