wagyu tallow and ground beef

harrybbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Haroldo
Curious question:

I understand Wagyu (american in this case) to be slightly superior to USDA prime due to higher fat marbling score (3-4).

What I don't understand are the gains from using Wagyu tallow or ground beef.

1 - If tallow is solid beef fat, what does it matter if the cow that it came from had more or less marbling? in the end, its all fat in there, right?

2 - If I get an 80-20 ground beef mix, what does it matter if the cow it came from had more or less marbling? I end up with 80-20 regardless, right?

I don't use tallow on my briskets, but I only buy american Wagyu beef (steaks, briskets, and yes, hamburger ground meat, which prompted me to ask this)

sorry if this is a dumb question, I might be missing something

The reason people use Waygu tallow is because it's actually a bit of a different fat compared to angus tallow. Mad Scientist BBQ (who holds a degree in chemistry) explains here in this video :
https://youtu.be/kE2RisA2mHY?list=RDCMUCselvHbb5ah0sEqZrFa-7nA&t=1258

I've time stamped it, but if the link doesn't work he starts talking about the differences in Waygu vs "standard" tallow at the 21:00 mark. I've also noticed this myself with tallow from an angus brisket at room temp is still quite firm and solid, while tallow from a Waygu brisket at room temp is more like a spreadable butter. These two different tallow's have a differing chemical composition, and I'm linking this quote from a different website.

"Wagyu beef generally has higher levels of fat marbling throughout the meat, which gives it a rich, buttery flavor. The fat in Wagyu beef contains high levels of monounsaturated fats, making it a healthier choice for heart health than other types of beef. On the other hand, Angus beef has higher levels of juicy, tender marbling concentrated in the middle of the meat, as opposed to dispersed throughout like in Wagyu. This gives it a bold flavor but is slightly higher in total fat and calories than Wagyu or Kobe beef."

https://mauraskitchenofmillbrook.com/blog/wagyu-vs-angus/

Your question isn't dumb, and here on the Brethren this is asked quite often and usually the "herd mentality" is that beef fat = beef fat. This notion is incorrect, as I've shown above.

I imagine tallow is just a flavor enhancer?? I don't use it and I don't prefer my food in puddles of fat which is why I don't wrap...I only get so many heartbeats.

-D

The reason people use Waygu tallow is because it's actually a bit of a different fat compared to angus tallow. Mad Scientist BBQ (who holds a degree in chemistry) explains here in this video :
https://youtu.be/kE2RisA2mHY?list=RDCMUCselvHbb5ah0sEqZrFa-7nA&t=1258

I've time stamped it, but if the link doesn't work he starts talking about the differences in Waygu vs "standard" tallow at the 21:00 mark. I've also noticed this myself with tallow from an angus brisket at room temp is still quite firm and solid, while tallow from a Waygu brisket at room temp is more like a spreadable butter. These two different tallow's have a differing chemical composition, and I'm linking this quote from a different website.

"Wagyu beef generally has higher levels of fat marbling throughout the meat, which gives it a rich, buttery flavor. The fat in Wagyu beef contains high levels of monounsaturated fats, making it a healthier choice for heart health than other types of beef. On the other hand, Angus beef has higher levels of juicy, tender marbling concentrated in the middle of the meat, as opposed to dispersed throughout like in Wagyu. This gives it a bold flavor but is slightly higher in total fat and calories than Wagyu or Kobe beef."

https://mauraskitchenofmillbrook.com/blog/wagyu-vs-angus/

Your question isn't dumb, and here on the Brethren this is asked quite often and usually the "herd mentality" is that beef fat = beef fat. This notion is incorrect, as I've shown above.

great context! thanks a bunch, makes sense, and now I do have an excuse to keep spending more on Wagyu beef, it's for heart heath! :becky:

You're correct in noting that American Wagyu typically has a higher fat marbling score compared to USDA prime. This marbling contributes to a richer flavor and tender texture in the meat.

You're correct in noting that American Wagyu typically has a higher fat marbling score compared to USDA prime. This marbling contributes to a richer flavor and tender texture in the meat.

Also...addressing your first question, the distinction in tallow, which is indeed solid beef fat, lies in the quality of the fat itself. Wagyu, including a5 wagyu, renowned for its exceptional marbling, produces tallow that is often softer, with a lower melting point compared to regular beef fat. This can impact both the flavor and the cooking properties of the tallow.

Back