At what price would you buy a Thermapen?

I bought one during the open box sale. Then my son came home for a visit and mentioned how when he was cooking chicken on the stove, he was cutting them open to see if it was done. Now, I wanted one that was backlit, so I gifted him mine and bought a backlit for me. We are both happy!

According to Mrs. Wornslick it is one of the best things I have ever bought for her kitchen, things ain't overcooked no more. :clap2:

I got no problem paying full price for one. :thumb:

Of course I use it too!

'
Same here. Love mine and can't imagine eing without it. No more overcooked or undercooked food!

Mrs Hankdad volunteered me to grill a meal for her mother's 88th birthday.
Her mother lives in a senior facility that has a Weber Genesis gas grill in very good shape.

Checked the propane, full. Grates were a bit moldy from disuse. 15 minutes of high temp cleaned them nicely.

Put on some pork loin chops with Tony Chachere's lite for rub. The chops had been purchased sliced and were of slightly different thickness.

My Thermopen let me know when to pull the chops off to rest.

My MIL, her sister (89 years) and my BIL's MIL (90)L were thrilled to have a left over chop. They rarely get good BBQ.

Last edited:
I grill 40 Lbs of chicken quarters often for groups. I'm always amazed at how many different temps I get across the grill when probing the individual pieces. My Thermapen allows me to probe each individual piece and pull them off as they meet temp. The fast readings are worth the money to me for this use so I spent the extra and use it for everything. I've always said, "People are funny. They just don't like medium rare chicken!"

ive had a red thermopen for around 10 years. still on same stock battery it was shipped with. once in a while just to check calibration i do a rolling boil and it still reads 212 degrees. money well spent

'
Same here. Love mine and can't imagine eing without it. No more overcooked or undercooked food!

Mrs Hankdad volunteered me to grill a meal for her mother's 88th birthday.
Her mother lives in a senior facility that actually has a Weber Genesis gas grilli good in good shape.

Checked the propane, it ws full. Grates were a bit moldy from disuse. 15 minutes of high temp cleaned them nicely.

Put on some pork loin chops with Tony Chachere's lite for rub. The chops had been purchased sliced and were of slightly different thickness.

My Thermopen let me know when to pull the chops off when they were done and ready for a rest.

My MIL, her sister (89 years) and my BIL's MIL were thrilled to have a left over chop. They rarely get good BBQ.

I'd think $49.99 - $59.99 would be a good price for them. I got mine as a christmas gift and love it. to be honest, if I had some spare cash and wanted to indulge myself, I'd probably buy one at full price at some point. I don't mind buying nice things that I will enjoy as long as I get my money's worth out of it. It's been 2.5 years and I use it a couple times a week, definitely worth it to me. Not to mention it's a life saver when grilling at parties (burgers, hotdogs, chicken). It's an indulgence that makes people like me happy, let us enjoy our toys :-D

I would pay as much as $60 for one, but $100+ retail is too steep for my budget.

I bought my Thermopop new for $26 shipped and I love it. I can't recommend it enough. It blows away every other "instant" read therm I've ever tried, some of which cost more.

I have no doubt the Thermapen is worth every penny of it's price for those who work with large amounts of food on a regular basis, but for me, the Thermopop is perfect.

Bought mine during the Open Box Sale. I always looked at the price and thought it was way overpriced. Pulled the trigger on kind of a whim and I love mine! Would buy it again for sure.

I'd pay $100 without thinking twice. I look at it like this:

Let's say you had food poisoning and were sick for a few days feeling miserable. At that moment, would you pay $100 to make it all go away? Of course right? $100 to most likely prevent it from ever happening in the first place is a no brainer!

I'd take one for free but I would never but one, it don't do any thing that my 9.00 wal-fart special don't do. I'm not a big thermo user anyway. So what if mine takes 15 sec whoopie I saved enough for a bottle of Templeton Rye and some good meat.

I'd take one for free but I would never but one, it don't do any thing that my 9.00 wal-fart special don't do. I'm not a big thermo user anyway. So what if mine takes 15 sec whoopie I saved enough for a bottle of Templeton Rye and some good meat.

Yep, and a microwave will make a steak too. :bored:

Word!!

At the current full retail price or less. Good equipment isn't cheap and cheap equipment isn't good. It is expensive but I can guarantee you no one who uses it ever regrets the price they paid. I have three and couldn't tell you what I paid only that I am so happy I have one or more to use. It not only serves as a thermometer but as a tenderness probe as well. Many people, myself included, have come to rely on it as a versatile tool rather than just an instant read thermometer. That being said the ease and quickness in temperature probing is vital to pit temp and cooking time.

$50.00 max- and I'd still have to talk myself into it. I'm just a backyard cook- I have a couple of cheapo Taylor "instant read"s and a Polder- they are totally sufficient for what I do and probably a good percentage of the folks on this board. I think they are cool but a Ben Franklin is a Ben Franklin.

There is no tool I use in my kitchen more than a Thermapen. For me they really shine in stovetop/grilling as opposed to BBQ though. Fish, chicken breasts, beef and pork loin have a very small window between "perfectly cooked" and "everything else". If I have multiple proteins cooking and I want them perfect, I can't image using anything else. Heck, if my neighbor calls me over to cook a bunch of burgers for him I'll bring along a Thermapen.

Back