At what price would you buy a Thermapen?

I think it's a matter of what one perceives as value for the money.

I paid full price for both of my Thermapens and would not hesitate to do it again. I also have the soft protective covers and the cases fore each pen.

I have one (green) for cold foods and one (red) for meats. This prevents cross-contamination in the kitchen when dealing with a lot of foods and there is not simply enough time to properly clean the probe when switching between hot and cold pans/trays. It also allow me to delegate a separate individual to handle the hot foods and one for the cold foods.

As far as dropping it into a 1500 degree fire, that's what wired food/pit probes are for, my Thermapens never leave the food prep/serving areas. I don't use temperature to determine if food is done, I believe only human interaction can give the desired results for perfectly done foods.

Simply put, they are tools; as with most tools they should also be given care and proper use to preserve their longevity as a valued item. Sort of like the difference between the tools of a backyard mechanic and a professional mechanic. There is nothing wrong with buying a cheaper product if that is what you perceive as a good value and it suits your needs.

I would pay whatever the going rate is. Period. Was one of the best BBQ investments I have ever made. And believe me, I don't throw money at every gimmick of the week.

Check out the RT600C from thermoworks. Its what I use. Thermoworks quality, accuracy, and still quick to pull a temp reading, albeit half a second slower than a thermopen. (Maybe, never actually used one so can't compare!) What sold me on the RT600 you ask?? The water resistant and splash proof build, the whole unit can go dishwasher top shelf no problem. Oh, and the $19 Amazon price tag to boot!! :grin:

How much would I pay for a thermopen?? No more than $20.

I have one of THEM, too. I bought it before they sold the Thermopop. After the Pop came out, my 600 died. I told Thermoworks they could replace it w/ a Pop, but they sent another 600.

When the Pop went on sale, I bit. The 600 is my back-up now.

Here it is, check it out everything Brown is on sale.

Attachments

• main_feature_image_brown_thermapen_2015.jpg
    main_feature_image_brown_thermapen_2015.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 182
Iam what I mean in my particular case is I often cook directly over a hot stick fire and need a fairly fast instant read therm however a $100 pen especially if my hands are slippery isn't wise. I'm sure they are great just not practical for my situation. If I ruined a 25 dollar therm it's not as much of a issue.

I love my thermapen that I got on open box sale. It was a spendy gift to myself. Is it necessary? Nope. Just like having 10 cookers isn't necessary. But it is a very useful tool for a backyard cook.

When you are doing large cooks and you need to get the door/lid of your smoker closed as quickly as possible, or if you are in the food service business and you are taking temperatures of many different items all day, the Thermapen is an invaluable tool.

Some would call Thermopens expensive but it's a quality product and Thermoworks stands behind them. There have been many posts here an other forums where someone's Thermopen has broken when it's been out of warranty and Thermoworks will fix it for free or for a very reasonable rate.

I stopped buying cheap stuff years ago. It's just not worth the aggravation to me.

Need to look at the Thermopop.

Made by the same company that makes the big brother Thermapens. Smaller and I found a deal online that sold 5 for $125 and free shipping. Every one at work wanted one. Works almost as fast as the Thermapen and has a thin tipped probed. Love it.

Amazon has them for $29.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/ThermoWorks-ThermoPop-Super-Fast-Thermometer-Rotating/dp/B00HZVJM6A"]Amazon.com: ThermoWorks ThermoPop Super-Fast Thermometer with Backlit Rotating Display (Blue): Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31c1Id5ABsL.@@AMEPARAM@@31c1Id5ABsL[/ame]

Highly recommend.

Drftr

I stopped buying cheap stuff years ago. It's just not worth the aggravation to me.
My grandmother always told me it's best to always go first class when you buy something and take care of it instead of buying cheaper and replacing it until you've spent the same amount of money and then you still don't have the better product. As I got older I figured this out more and more as life went on. Now I know sometimes we just can't afford it, but should we ask ourselves to wait a bit and save until we can? I used to buy $300 grills every couple years, 2 or 3 cheap grills equals one Weber. I finally bought a Weber, I believe it is actually saving me money because of its longevity.

I have seen them several times on sale for $19, keep your eyes open. :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
bought mine at retail I believe, but it's well worth it. I tried to use one of my in-laws pampered-chef thermometers and it took forever. It seemed like over 30 seconds until it stopped. To me it's well worth it and I use mine quite a bit.

I was happy to pay $80 for my black with flames - after all, it is the fastest.

I love Thermoworks stuff....

2 Thermopops
2 Dots
2 ChefAlarms
key chain Fun-size Thermometer
matching Silicone Spoonula and Spatula

I guess if they had a half price sale I might spring for the Thermopen just to have one like the cool kids.......

I love Thermoworks products. I first bought the Thermopop last year and it is a great tool that I use a lot. I wanted a therm for the grill/smoker so i got the Chef Alarm at the open box sale last month. Great deal on that.

I will purchase a Thermopen because they are a great company that makes excellent products. I'm always looking for a deal so if I can get it open box or on sale I will but I would definitely pay full price for a product of this caliber.

What price is worth perfect Q or a perfect Christmas roast? I got mine on sale at $79.00 (they are currently having a super secret sale on Brown Thermopens, see my post in another thread).

I debated and hemmed and hawed, but these things are so easy to use, so easy to read, and there is no question on their accuracy. I'd rather spend a little extra money and get something I know is accurate and fast, and know my cooked product will be just right.

Worst thing ever is to pull a batch of chicken off of the grill or smoker, and have it come out half raw in the middle. Or is it the Christmas Roast that you spent a farkin' fortune on and it came out overcooked and tough?

Or you can simply use one of those little plastic popup thingies they put in turkeys and everyone wonders why they need so much gravy to make the white meat edible...

Pulled the trigger on a full price one... Whatever... I spend enough on meat, charcoal etc aleady... Just another drop in the BBQ bucket I suppose.
Have been through a number of cheap thermometers that took forever and/or were not accurate. After screwing up a couple standing rib roasts, got a pen for $76 open box. You're right. With the cost of meat, it's really not that much. Plus, it's nice to know ThermoWorks supports their products very well.

This vid is a couple years old and I'm sure there are better competing products out now, but still pretty amazing

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_tpfyFitDY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_tpfyFitDY[/ame]

$20 bucks tops! I can tell when things are cooked by time and feel as I'm sure most brethren can - it's nice to know temp for sure but it being instant is not a make or break deal.

1 Camo Thermopen
2 Thermopops
2 Dots
1 Chef Alarm

:becky: :becky: :becky: :becky:

Replaced all my cheap thermometers. Chef Alarm uses same probes as DOT's so my backup probe is good for all 3. I bit the bullet and bought the Thermopen on sale when they were donatating a portion to the Semper Fi fund for Marines (Ooh Rah)

Back