At what price would you buy a Thermapen?

It's not the traditional BBQ meats (briskets, butts, ribs, chuck,etc.) where this matters. It's with meats that have to be cooked to or past a specific temperature to be safe to eat like chicken, pork loin, chops, etc. Going by feel with these meats is probably fine for the home cook, but if you are cooking to serve to the public and meet health department requirements you need to make sure that things are safe to eat.

Also, as mentioned, if you are doing large cooks, a fast and accurate thermometer is essential since you can get things temped and get the smoker closed again and not lose as much heat.

$50 for me. I'd like to have one I just don't see it being 4-5 times better than some of there other products that are only 1-2 seconds slower, yet it's 4-5 times the cost. I've had the RT600C for 4 years now and it works great. Other than changing the batteries I've never had an issue. I got it for $15. You can get it today for $19.

That being said, I've been tempted every time they have a sale. Who doesn't like new toys after all?

$50 for me. I'd like to have one I just don't see it being 4-5 times better than some of there other products that are only 1-2 seconds slower, yet it's 4-5 times the cost. I've had the RT600C for 4 years now and it works great. Other than changing the batteries I've never had an issue. I got it for $15. You can get it today for $19.

Sold - just bought this - thanks for the recommendation I'm sure it will beat my analog probe!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/RT600C-Super-fast-Water-resistant-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B002GE2XF8"]Amazon.com: RT600C Super-fast Water-resistant Digital Pocket Thermometer: Instant Read Thermometers: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21UewYGh0cL.@@AMEPARAM@@21UewYGh0cL[/ame]

About the price of a pop....

The pop is just as accurate, and waiting 1 second for results hasn't cost me a wink of sleep.

People love theirs, and if they think it's a value, good for them. Everyone has their own value system, but I can find 15 different thermometers that are just as accurate that cost far less than $100 (or $80 on sale or whatever).

Thermo is the king of speed, that's true, but if that one second bothers you THAT much, maybe BBQ isn't the cooking method for ya. ;)

OR saying cheaper doesn't work as good and cooks on a $75 UDS.
6 one way - 1/2 a dozen the other.
:thumb:
:thumb: In the end it's the cook, not the equipment that makes the difference. I use a thermometer because I'm not good at judging doneness so it's a good tool for me, the better the tool, the better I judge. Now, for cookers, in my old age I like to buy one that will last and is easy to use but I can cook on anything so i don't need mega-expensive. I've tasted food from all kinds of cookers and cooks, I've had great food from cheap charcoal grills and I've had crap food from some really expensive equipment. Of course, the other way around, too, but I still believe it's 90% cook, 10% equipment. If you know your weakness and can find a tool to assist, by all means go for it.

I'd pay $50 for it.....but I only paid $10 for a cheap imitation of a Thermapen from Academy and it works great so far!

:thumb: In the end it's the cook, not the equipment that makes the difference. I use a thermometer because I'm not good at judging doneness so it's a good tool for me, the better the tool, the better I judge. Now, for cookers, in my old age I like to buy one that will last and is easy to use but I can cook on anything so i don't need mega-expensive. I've tasted food from all kinds of cookers and cooks, I've had great food from cheap charcoal grills and I've had crap food from some really expensive equipment. Of course, the other way around, too, but I still believe it's 90% cook, 10% equipment. If you know your weakness and can find a tool to assist, by all means go for it.

I think you missed the whole reference I was making. Like the rest of the thread my comment was actually direct towards the conversation on temp probe prices not pits.

My experience with my Thermowand I bought for around $25 has been excellent. It may not be quite as fast (but within a second) as the Thermopen, but the accuracy is right there with it. It is durable and easy to read, and the size/length is sufficient for my uses.

So, to answer your original question, it would have to be around the same price range as it is just a tool to help me cook, and is not an absolute necessity like a smoker or grill or fuel for them.

Omar
Completely agree. Really like the Thermowand.

I would pay whatever it took

But of course I am a gear head. You get what you pay for. The Thermapen has been the LEADER in thermometers for YEARS. Countless positive reviews, by both professional chefs, BBQ cooks, and consumers. With being a gear head means less money for eating out, or beer, or what have you. But I have the best gear for my hobbies that money can buy. I see so many people say the Thermapen is too expensive, yet they will go off and buy new hunting camo every year, or a new driver to keep up with their boss or a waste money on beer and women. So what is more important to you? Having the best? Or having "ALMOST" as good. Quit pretending, stop buying beer for a week then buy a Thermapen.

I've had one for 5 years. I recently tried to go back to a 5+ second thermometer, and the read time felt like an eternity.

Using a Thermapen is like a drug. It only took a few uses before I was addicted. I guess I've gotten spoiled. But if/when my Red thermapen (Everyone KNOWS RED is the fastest), finally gives up the proverbial ghost I'll be paying whatever they're charging at the time.

I tried a Thermowand, but I found my read time was anywhere between 8 and 12 seconds, depending on the meat I was cooking. I've also had some issues getting to the center of my meat with the shorter probe.

I haven't tried the RT600C or Thermopop, I'm thinking maybe I should get one as a backup.

I grilled some elk burgers for some friends Wed. perfect with mine just showing pink & theirs 160. Buddy asked what did that cost he about fell off the chair when I told him. I said lets see you grill a burger that is a moist as yours without over cooking. They are worth every penny.

I grilled some elk burgers for some friends Wed. perfect with mine just showing pink & theirs 160. Buddy asked what did that cost he about fell off the chair when I told him. I said lets see you grill a burger that is a moist as yours without over cooking. They are worth every penny.

I understand Thermapens are high quality. I get that if doing high volume cooks every 1.5 seconds count. I get some people love them and I don't begrudge them buying one or 4. I love Thermoworks' CS- they've been good to me. I have a 600C and a T-pop. ($40 total)

All I'm sayin' is that I'm pretty sure you could have made that same burger w/ a Thermopop, so tell your friend the cost of becoming a Burger King can be as low as $20. :-D

I've had one for 5 years. I recently tried to go back to a 5+ second thermometer, and the read time felt like an eternity.

Using a Thermapen is like a drug. It only took a few uses before I was addicted. I guess I've gotten spoiled. But if/when my Red thermapen (Everyone KNOWS RED is the fastest), finally gives up the proverbial ghost I'll be paying whatever they're charging at the time.

I tried a Thermowand, but I found my read time was anywhere between 8 and 12 seconds, depending on the meat I was cooking. I've also had some issues getting to the center of my meat with the shorter probe.

I haven't tried the RT600C or Thermopop, I'm thinking maybe I should get one as a backup.

If/when your super fast red thermapen dies it will cost no more than $25 to be repaired. That is of course unless you drop it in a hot fire.

The bottom line is, as with all tools, you pay an absorbant amount for the last bit of extra quality.

Back