Anyone up for dino/plate ribs with a side of Pr0n?

Very nice Mongo!

A long hold like that is always a good thing. It means you can serve on time and you're not fussing with anything when the guests arrive. It's like magic when you pull that kind of food from nowhere and the guests go: :shock:

Stupendous beef rib cook, Scott! Always enjoy your cook threads and hope to see more from you soon!

Man oh man. I haven't had beef ribs in a coon's age. Now I might think I need to find me some!

Costco

Here's decent write up on difference:

https://bbqhost.com/plate-ribs-vs-chuck-ribs-vs-short-ribs/

I had a heck of time finding plate ribs up until a few years ago so had always done chuck short ribs. While I've never done so, many brethren on site have recommended asking local butchers to hook them up with plates as a special order.

I see them fairly regularly at Costco here (New Orleans).

If you have a Costco near you, you might put in a request to see if they'll get some in for ya.

I've never tried these before (cooking OR eating), but I plan to when my stick burner comes in (hopefully soon).....

It's interesting how these things seem to *puff* up when cooked!!!

I've been watching YouTube videos of beef ribs.

Do ya'll have a preferred cook temp/timing for these to get them right?

Do they get wrapped like pork ribs? (foil)?

Thanks in advance,
cayenne

First off... thanks gang for all the kind words. Truly appreciated!!!

A couple comments and answers to follow.

I have such a hard time finding plate ribs, jump on the chance whenever I can.

hard time finding them here as well!

Sounds like a Cali tag team search is in order. Looks like Bakersfield is about about halfway in between you two so a good place to join forces. Road trip!!!

Beef ribs are my favorite food group.

I'm beginning to feel the same way!

A long hold like that is always a good thing. It means you can serve on time and you're not fussing with anything when the guests arrive. It's like magic when you pull that kind of food from nowhere and the guests go: :shock:

I was stressed at first, but will be holding for a long time from now on. The results and guest's reactions sealed the deal!

Always enjoy your cook threads and hope to see more from you soon!

The feeling is totally mutual my old friend!

Now I might think I need to find me some

Maybe the Cali crew can send you a care package when they score!

Like dino ribs much better than brisket.

I can relate, plus they're really forgiving to cook!

Do ya'll have a preferred cook temp/timing for these to get them right? Do they get wrapped like pork ribs? (foil)?

I shoot for 275 to 285 grate temp and spritz them about every hour with a mix of beef broth and woosty. Time is hard to pin down as I've had them take from 5-1/2 to 10 hours to finish at the same temp? I use an old TU ThermoPop to probe for doneness so don't have a finished meat temp. Like the old saying goes, like a knife into butter. The only wrapping I do is at the end in butcher paper to hold.

:mrgreen:

You're killing me here. Can we swap Costcos? That looks absolutely beautiful. It's been years since I've cooked beef ribs and since then I've become a fan of extended holds. I'd love to give it a try with ribs. Just waiting on some decent ribs, c'mon Costco. :mad:

You're killing me here. Can we swap Costcos? That looks absolutely beautiful. It's been years since I've cooked beef ribs and since then I've become a fan of extended holds. I'd love to give it a try with ribs. Just waiting on some decent ribs, c'mon Costco. :mad:

Sorry... my wife knows our local Costco like the back of her hand and a swap would create more havoc than it's worth.

I see your options as:

1. As cayenne suggests, ask your Costco if they can hook you up on a special request. If no, try a local butcher or grocery outfit.
2. Ask a fellow brethren to score a pack and send to you on dry ice. Pretty spendy but an option nonetheless.
3. Have nothing and like it!

:razz:

Last edited:
Back