Anyone up for dino/plate ribs with a side of Pr0n?

Al Czervik

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Scott/Mongo
A long time ago (yesterday) in a galaxy far, far away (eastern Washington), we had friends and family over for a get together. I'd picked up a two pack of beef plate ribs a while back from Costco and stashed them away in the upright for just such an occasion. After a three day thaw in the fridge, it was all systems go at 0-dark-hundred to get the cooking started.

Started with some fresh RO...

Y0fMuN2.jpg

Out of the cryo...

E4kYq56.jpg

Trimmed off the silver skin and excess fat...

sjMuD0V.jpg

Rubbed up...

IXQuG3S.jpg

On to the oval with red oak for smoke running at 275ish...

V1d7OIy.jpg

About two hours in...

THuqMmV.jpg

About four hours in...

wuACe01.jpg

To my surprise, they were done in about five and a half hours. As our guests weren't coming over until much later, I ended up holding them for more than four hours wrapped in butcher paper and towels in a cooler. When it came time to slice and serve, I was only able to get the following chitty picture that doesn't really do them justice...

o5q4JbN.jpg

While the extended hold wasn't intentional, it worked out fine. They were a huge hit with the crowd and easily the best ones I've ever done. The bark was spot on, the fat was completely rendered yet the meat was still moist and everyone said they tasted great. When it was all said and done, here's all that was left when it came time to clean up...

wd68zrZ.jpg

Thanks as always for tuning in...

Brisket on a stick, mmmm, nothing better. Wish I could find plate ribs around here to try. All we have around here that I've ever found are the chuck short ribs.

Anyone tried both? Is there a big difference or not really?

Wish I could find plate ribs around here to try. All we have around here that I've ever found are the chuck short ribs.

Anyone tried both? Is there a big difference or not really?

Here's decent write up on difference:

https://bbqhost.com/plate-ribs-vs-chuck-ribs-vs-short-ribs/

I had a heck of time finding plate ribs up until a few years ago so had always done chuck short ribs. While I've never done so, many brethren on site have recommended asking local butchers to hook them up with plates as a special order.

Amazing looking!!!! How many people you serve with those?

Last edited:
Thanks, Adam… Six people ended up eating ribs. A couple of those six also signed up for burgers, but only one of them had any room left to even give the burger a try. In the end, he waived the white flag halfway through.

Doesn't get any better than that! Beef ribs are my favorite food group. Looks delicious, Scott!!

Back