Anyone else prefer smoking at high-temp?

I find it funny that a lot of people are still low and slow. When I purchased my River Country Temp gauge for my new cooker, the BBQ Range doesn't even start til 250. its like 250-375 or something like that! I said man, that must piss off the low and slow guys having to look at it LOL I just stay within that range.

I always figured
0-225 low and slow
226-299 normal
300-349 abnormal check gaskets for leaks
350-and up hot and fast

I prefer 275 in my Primo- I think my PBC is close to 275 as well. I don't get to excited about fluctuations in temp.

This is almost a moot point because what some consider smoking is different from what others do.

The majority of my cooks I can say my food is always exposed to good clean stick wood fire smoke (no charcoal) of any kind and the temps range from 250* to 600*, and often in the same cook. Depending on what's on the cooker it could start out on the high end to develop some good flavor on the outside and then finish slower temp. Most cooks are direct from a distance

***Slower NOT lower***
***Faster NOT hotter***

This is almost a moot point because what some consider smoking is different from what others do.

The majority of my cooks I can say my food is always exposed to good clean stick wood fire smoke (no charcoal) of any kind and the temps range from 250* to 600*, and often in the same cook. Depending on what's on the cooker it could start out on the high end to develop some good flavor on the outside and then finish slower temp. Most cooks are direct from a distance

***Slower NOT lower***
***Faster NOT hotter***

So you're running all sticks in your wsm and uds? I've been running my wsm like a uds but with charcoal....I have tons of wood on hand at all times for the woodstove....can you lay out some details? Stick size? Start-up/fire management? How you run your vents? Just a general idea would be appreciated, I'd like to try running my wsm like that.

If you buy a cheap smoker or cooker you will be forced to cook 300+, maybe 400+.........:shock:
I've had Several......... :redface:

So you're running all sticks in your wsm and uds? I've been running my wsm like a uds but with charcoal....I have tons of wood on hand at all times for the woodstove....can you lay out some details? Stick size? Start-up/fire management? How you run your vents? Just a general idea would be appreciated, I'd like to try running my wsm like that.
Sent you a PM

UDS.
Pit Barrel Cooker.
Most Any Offset.
Kamados.
Weber Kettle
Will all run 275* n Up.

Pellet Poopers will run Hot but most say they smoke low temp for a few hours then turn it up.

Most insulated cabinet smokers are designed to run 250-275* max.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/big-poppa-s-engineered-drum-smoker-kit

http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/videos/what-is-the-pbc?gclid=COS_mfvt48wCFdM2gQodLMYAjw

You can smoke 275-300* in a $99 Weber Kettle - Easy.

You can Smoke 275-300* and have Capacity in a $299 26" Weber Kettle.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129246

I don't mind low and slow if I have the time. My WSM is rock steady at 225 and will hold it all day if needed. It is nice to run errands for a couple hours and not worry about the meat.

However, most of the time, time is short. 275-300 produces great results and doesn't take near as long. 5-7 hours for brisket and butts vs. 8-14 hours.

275+ most of the time. After wrapping I sometimes go to 300+ on larger meats to blast through the stall.

My cooker seems to get hotter the longer the cook but I attribute some of that to the effects of beverage over indulgence over several hours! :-D

I think the cooking temperature has a lot to do with experience. When I first started I wanted 225, nothing higher. As you cook more and experiment more, whether on purpose or you let the temperature get away from you, you realize it is ok to go hotter. Eventually you creep up hot enough to be in the hot and fast category and save yourself a lot of time.

Interesting. So even for thinner cuts, like ribs, it still comes out as moist as 225-250?

Yeah man. I even cut the smaller slab WAY too soon after taking it off the grill cause I was drunk and got ahead of myself, and they were nice and moist even after sitting for a few minutes.

Still learning. But, I do agree about have to cook at a higher temp with COS. I had to keep mine at 325-350 for a good wood burn. Anything lower would produce dirty smoke.

After reading through these forums I'm not certain what Hot and Fast is. I stick around 270 but it fluctuates depending on cook.

After reading through these forums I'm not certain what Hot and Fast is. I stick around 270 but it fluctuates depending on cook.

I wouldn't really call 275 hot and fast, but it's definitely hotter and faster than standard practice. 300+ now that's hot and fast in my estimation.

Back