Any Predictions

There's been a lot of good debate on this thread, some silly, some makes me scratch my head, some I think make a great point(s).. but if the board elected to keep the rule the same and not change it in any way, there'd still be 6 pages of ticked-off people on this forum.

No sh!t

I was led to believe by several of the original founders of KCBS and PNWBA that the pork rule came about because of several factors. The most fundamental was cooks stretching the rules. Examples were: pork loin and pork tenderloin on the pit with the purported butt source and, once cooked, it was difficult to prove that the source was the butt and not the loin or tenderloin. Hence the 5 pound rule cooked whole. The parting rule came about because of cooks stretching the rule and substituting pork tenderloin for slice mm. In an attempt to make it quasi enforceable, the no parting and return to the pit was introduced. I’ve only been involved since the late 90’s and this is hearsay from that time. Others can chime in with additional insight or information or correction. I tend to believe that the “cooks stretching the rules” have not changed in the slightest regardless of the rule.

I am sure the BOD has thoroughly thought this over and the CBJ's will have continuing education on this new major rule. I for one do not want to get marked down because i choose to put sausage in a box.

No one is going to change what they do, I know I am not. I encourage you to grill your money muscle, slice your collar, turn is sausage or ground pork, please please do. I love getting that check with my properly cooked pork butt. I don't even use the money muscle...........BBQ comps are based on honesty and self policing to not cheat. If you choose to grill a tenderloin, I can assure you that it will not top a properly cooked 10-12 hour butt........

I am sure the BOD has thoroughly thought this over and the CBJ's will have continuing education on this new major rule. I for one do not want to get marked down because i choose to put sausage in a box.

Scottie you know you are going to continue to turn in what has brought you so far and won you so many awards.

you mean you dont expect to get a 2 when the CBJ sees a delish sausage patty sitting in the box.

Interesting question on the Ask the Board thread about this same topic. The question is, after inspection, can someone take a pork butt, grind the meat and cook a fatty for turn-in. Now that is creative. From what I have read so far, anything goes after inspection and that would be legal.

Benny

I don't get why some want to turn the pork category into the Pulled Pork category. Must be a conspiracy from deep inside the MeatRake corporation. j/k

For everyone saying that won't change their cooking methods and go with what has always brought them success... come back in 2015 and give us an update on how that's going for you. As my good friend Justin Biebs says, "Never say Never".

I don't get why some want to turn the pork category into the Pulled Pork category. Must be a conspiracy from deep inside the MeatRake corporation. j/k

For everyone saying that won't change their cooking methods and go with what has always brought them success... come back in 2015 and give us an update on how that's going for you. As my good friend Justin Biebs says, "Never say Never".

I will be sure to keep you in the know.... I have tried off the wall things, stuff that people have called me crazy for doing at a "bbq comp" Some have paid off, other times total disaster even if the product I was shooting for was spot on. You can change a rule, but you cannot change the mindset of who is judging it. Give them what they expect and give it to them perfect... Every time I went back to the basics and what they expected, thats where the consistent scores pay off. I do agree that once in awhile being very creative can put you above the rest, but most times not.

I'm just as confident that the Board will insure that the CBJ class materials and class cooking requirements will also be revamped to reflect the rule change. We need to be teaching new CBJs how to judge sausage patties, braised horn meat, and grilled mm medallions.

People who have been grinding briskets into hamburgers have been doing great over the years in BBQ competitions.

so, go ahead, turn in grilled pork or whatever.. see how judges like that. It'll probably score as well as smoked chicken gizzards.

I will be sure to keep you in the know.... I have tried off the wall things, stuff that people have called me crazy for doing at a "bbq comp" Some have paid off, other times total disaster even if the product I was shooting for was spot on. You can change a rule, but you cannot change the mindset of who is judging it. Give them what they expect and give it to them perfect... Every time I went back to the basics and what they expected, thats where the consistent scores pay off. I do agree that once in awhile being very creative can put you above the rest, but most times not.

I'm sure they told the first guy to put Parkay on his ribs that he was out of his mind. Now, the blue bottle can be found at nearly every competition on almost every category.

We are like sheep. As soon as someone finds a way to break through the gate, we all follow to the greener grass.

I'm sure they told the first guy to put Parkay on his ribs that he was out of his mind. Now, the blue bottle can be found at nearly every competition on almost every category.

We are like sheep. As soon as someone finds a way to break through the gate, we all follow to the greener grass.

It does seem to be a world filled with originators, imitators, and innovators.

Back