A Hunsaker & Shirley Walk into A BBQ Competition Charity Event.......

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
So in 9 days we'll be doing our 3rd go round of vending for the organizer (a good friend) of the Sip & Swine BBQ competition to raise money for the benefiting charity Home of Hope Gwinnett Children's Shelter :becky::clap2:. This is a huge event in terms of public turn out so we are hoping to up our game from our 1st and 2nd years.

A lot of course depends on the weather, but as of now we are hoping to cook even a little more this year. 2017 we did 80lb of chicken and 52 racks of ribs. Sold out of ribs with no effort and then chicken tacos also sold out after doing a last hour discount to make sure we cleared it all.

If weather is great and turn out is the same we can do more ribs and would plan on the same chicken. So for fun why not roll on 2 smokers :thumb:?? The SF handled it all easy last year (that crazy rib rack I saw on the SF FB page was nuts and wish I had one), but I've been wanting to use my Hunsaker hanging rack to see if i can get like 20 racks hanging on it at the same time :twitch:.

As of now that is the dumb plan :becky:. Temps are looking great and only rain last minute would change what we would cook. So fingers crossed for awesome weather and got my crew ready for action again :clap2::-D

I can't wait for the rest of this post. 2 questions.

1. How many bottles of 4 Roses?
2. Will TRex make an appearance?

Awesome! I'd like to see you cook in person one day. Seems like it would be an experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

At which point do you go get a bbq trailer to support all of your outreach? :heh:

At which point do you go get a bbq trailer to support all of your outreach? :heh:

We have a camper to take to competitions, but for this kind of stuff the shirley trailer, some tables and a canopy do good. But if I had the room and extra coin I would also have a catering rig :-D

18 racks was the most I could fit on my homemade drum. Good luck.

Wow! 20 racks? I thought 13 was pushing it on my Gateway clone UDS... Good luck! And please post a picture of that 20 racks hanging and how long it took! I might try the same in a couple of months...

18 racks was the most I could fit on my homemade drum. Good luck.

We’ll see how many I get. If only 16 or 18 is feasible for a good product then that is how I’ll roll. Looking forward to seeing how many will fit.

:clap2::clap2:

Just to note. Here is 12 BB hanging. Could fit 16 without them hanging against each other. But the extra amount of grease dripping from more than 10 gets pretty heavy depending on the ribs.

85gal Hunsaker could handle 20 racks. :heh:

Always look forward to you posting this cook. I imagine the Tiny Human is extremely mobile now?

If I were a little closer I would bring backup.....

Trust me if I think we'd sell that much I'd give you a holler in a second :becky:. We perfectly sold out last year. There are other great vendors selling of course so doing the "estimation dance" is always fun :-D.

If the weather is even more perfect than last year (which was nice, a little windy but sunny) I think we could do 60 racks. Since this is all for charity we'd rather sell out vs having leftovers we can't do much with and eating that cost.

We are very blessed to have some amazing sponsors to help us this year take care of just about everything from Rub/Sauces to the meat. My old stomping ground Foggy Bottom BBQ is donating chicken and Atlanta BBQ Store (a vendor/brethren on this site as well) is giving us rubs/sauces on top of covering more general costs. Love our bbq family :-D.

Barring bad weather we should hopefully feed about 400-500 people. If the weather looks crazy perfect I might shoot for more ribs and also sell, on top of rib plate and chicken tacos, full racks for folks. We haven't offered full racks before.

Back