80 gallon Reverse Offset project

Hinges came out pretty sweat, still need some metal finishing though.

Attachments

• IMG_20150313_185118072_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150313_185118072_HDR.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 313
I was pondering tiging up stainless steel cooking grates, waste of time and money? Does everyone just use steel expanded metal? Steel would be easier than stainless to build.

Few more

Attachments

• IMG_20150417_094741742_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150417_094741742_HDR.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_20150417_094750750.jpg
    IMG_20150417_094750750.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 268
Nice looking build. The throat opening looks small for a 80 gallon tank. Hope you used a pit calculator to determine all your critical measurements. As far as getting the door to fit better, you can use a chain and a floor jack to tweek it back into shape. Another option is scrap the curved lid and go with flat doors.

thanks guys, I'm pretty stoked on it myself. hopefully get a hog to stuff in that thing this weekend. I will post more pictures when I make more progress. not sure about the year of the stove but because it's made out of quarter inch steel I knew it would perfect for this.

It's also a highly sought after collectable wood stove worth $700 to $900 restored. Now not so much.

I sectioned the tank so it works with the mathimatical equation. As for the stove I rescued it from wrotting away in someone's back yard, I assure you I will get my money worth out of it. Thanks for the concern.

Last edited:
Oh ya and I also maid sure if I ever wanted to use the stove, the welds could be cut and the stove would just need a new flu sleeve welded in. So all good.

Using the pit calculator is a good place to start and get a base point of intake, stack and fire box to cook chamber opening for max flow. But as soon as you start to close down the intake and restrict the exhaust you through those calculation out the window. To me it is more about the position of the the intake and stack to get good air flow.

On the door we put a grove on the inside of the door than run a bead down it to bring the edges in.

Looks great you are doing a very nice job. Love the firebox!!!

I have all the dimensions written somewhere but I just ran the numbers threw the pit calculator till it worked with the parameters of the wood stove I'm using, dimensions of the stove and the intake then I sectioned about 8" out of the coock chamber so it all jived. Its been a fun project so far.

Thanks guys, for all the advise about the door, got it delt with, used a porta-power to take the warp out of the cook chamber then ran a pipe across the door opening, closed the door and hit it with a sledge, worked great.

Feel free to post any pics on here of your guys builds, love to see em. Happy smoking today!

I have all the dimensions written somewhere but I just ran the numbers threw the pit calculator till it worked with the parameters of the wood stove I'm using, dimensions of the stove and the intake then I sectioned about 8" out of the coock chamber so it all jived. Its been a fun project so far.

I've got the put calculator and happy with what it gives, it's just that I've got a cook chamber that I think is similar in size to what you got, as a cross check for me it would be useful to understand diamter and length. Cylinders are difficult to come by here and don't want to waste it by doing something wrong

WOW! I love it, lots of character! Looking over the photos reminds me why I want all our kids at my HS to learn to weld. Think of the creativity.......

NICE!

I totally agree Turney, as a new dad I feel the same way, when I went to highschool that was the only thing that drove me. So what did they do, got rid of auto shop. But thanks to some local old timers and my group of creative buddy's we pushed on with welding, hotrods, metal arts etc.. To many tech oriented classes. Get your hands dirty kid, you might like it. Thats my rant for the day.

Hey Parm, the cook chamber was originally 19" diameter and 60" length, I cut 10" out of the length to make the equation work out, hope that helps, oh ya I used feldons calc.

Back