THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I see they sell a kit and then bags separate. Can I use my existing vacuum sealer or do I have to buy theirs?

I love how Costco sells the whole prime grade ribeyes for 9.30 a pound and the flats/eyes for 17-19 a pound. Easier to justify buying the whole one to the wife.

Great breakdown and pics btw.

Great post Sako - dry aged beef is the biz! Love what you've done with that cut.

I think if I started eating ribeye cap now, and didn't stop until I keeled over, I'd consider it a life well lived.

another method I must try.How much different does the process make?

Thanks for sharing :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks SD!

I say it makes a huge difference. The dry aging process "dissolves" the connective tissues when some of the moisture evaporates from the meat. The process also intensifies and concentrates the beef flavor. The beefier you prefer the longer you let it go. For me 45 day is perfection.

You waited 53 days to age that thing and didn't even grill at least one of those steaks up and show us??? :shock: Quite the tease, but man does that look awesome. :biggrin1:

Wow that turned out great! I'm going to see if costco has them and dry age one also. I've never used the bags before, do you like them better than just going without one?

Thanks Norm! I haven't done one without the bag yet but I've bought it done traditionally without the bag and the flavor profile is just about the same with or without.

I thinking the next one is going to be with out the bag.

Sako, thanks for taking the time to write this up in such great detail! It's precisely threads like this that make this site one of the best cooking resources available. The meat looks divine, I'm finally convinced that I need to try this. Now to try and find some $9 prime graded prime rib.....

Thanks brother! I try to be as thorough and detailed as I can. There's been countless times where I've turned to Brethren threads like this for guidance and direction when I needed help. I've learned tremendously from this site and just paying it forward. :thumb:

I don't even know how I got this for $9/lb. The week prior I was in they were going for $14.99/lb. :noidea:

I've always been tempted to separate the deckle but I always have that part for "dessert" when I have me a ribeye. Great post!

Thanks Cakemix! I gotta admit I thought for a bit whether to separate or not. Absolutely agree on the deckle being a dessert.

Very Nice I need to try this I have an vertical Vac Sealer Am I right that does not work well with those bags

Thanks George,

I used to have the vertical and you're right it's nearly impossible to vac it with that type of a sealer. I ended up buying an inexpensive "clamshell" foodsaver and besides the dry aging bags I love the classic design way better. Way more control with the clamshell design since it's manual.

Outstanding Sako, great post!
I cut up my 45 day dry aged ribeye last night, can't wait to taste it.
Thank you again for your dry age info, I wouldn't have tried it if not for seeing your posts. :thumb:

Thanks Jeanie!! :hug: I think you're going to like the 45 day better.

I was gonna say the same as everyone here...you and Cowgirl have definitely given me the courage to try this!

I'm getting my bags in the mail today, so yesterday I went to Costco and bought a 13 pound boneless prime ribeye subprimal in the cryovac. $9.29 per pound in case people are tracking prices. I'm also going to go back and get a prime strip loin subprimal soon...they had choice for $6.29/lb, but I figure the prime won't be that much more (should be less than the ribeye). Considering I just bought a couple prime NY strip steaks from Safeway at $22.99/lb, I have a lot of mental space to work with in terms of cost for these subprimals.

Anyways, waiting 45 days for the meat to age is the perfect activity for me and my current dieting regimen. Thanks again to ssv and Cowgirl and everyone else!

Awesome JW! That's a great price obviously and you'll love the outcome. As far as the high price of dry aged beef, doing it myself I now understand the concept of why they go for much more. A lot of effort goes into making/processing these and when you combine loss, time, storage etc the substantial price increase is ever so clear. Luckily we're able to do these at home and besides the money it's a whole heck a lot of fun.

PS I can't touch these myself since I'm fasting until Easter. I gave up meat, dairy and alcohol in the meantime.:tape: It's going to be a long 48 days.

Cool. I wondered if the beef ribs would get to desiccated to cook.

The membrane protects it real well. Toss the membrane and you've got some real good bones.

do you have the link handy for the dry aging info

It's pretty straight forward Matt. You take it out of the cryovac and put it in the Umai bag as is. Get all the air out by vacuuming and make sure you have 75-80% contact with the bag and surface of the meat. From that point on you wait for however long you choose. Take it out of the bag and trim the desiccated outer shell and cut in whatever portion you want. Bag and freeze until use as in my case.

Feel free to ask me any questions as far as bag sizes for specific cuts, etc.

Here's the website with a ton of info and videos

http://www.drybagsteak.com/

I see they sell a kit and then bags separate. Can I use my existing vacuum sealer or do I have to buy theirs?

No need to buy a new sealer unless you have the automatic vertical ones which make it super difficult to use on the umai bags. If you have any clamshell design sealer, even a $50 one, you'll be fine.

Great post Sako - dry aged beef is the biz! Love what you've done with that cut.

I think if I started eating ribeye cap now, and didn't stop until I keeled over, I'd consider it a life well lived.

Thanks Greg! Lol, couldn't agree with you more on the ribeye cap.

Man, I drool over your dry age pics and next time around I'm trying your method without a bag. BTW, Your posts are the reason for the 3 bone prime rib I cut. Can't wait to try that on Easter.

Very impressive. How would you prepare/cook the ribeye cap?

Thank you!

Seasoned with S&P and I'm debating whether to:

Sous vide medium rare and sear at the end

OR

Sear it over charcoal or wood to medium rare

I'll post it for sure and suggestions are welcome.

Looks great - so - the Chuck side is the one with the longer bones?
And when buying a 3-rib roast, should one look for the shorter bones, or longer?
$9 a pound is an insane price.

Very nice work bro, I've previously dry aged rib roasts with a dedicated fridge, a rack and a small fan in the fridge. The first 2 times turned out great but the last time I did it my spare fridge was on the outs and it didnt stay cold enough for the entire 3 weeks. I was stubborn so I trimmed it and decided to eat one anyways. Long story short I got sick and I threw the rest away. I'm gonna try the Umai bags with my foodsaver vac sealer so I'll avoid that problem again. Thanks for the pics

Looks great - so - the Chuck side is the one with the longer bones?
And when buying a 3-rib roast, should one look for the shorter bones, or longer?
$9 a pound is an insane price.

Chuck side is the shorter bone or more meatier and fattier. The "eye" is relatively smaller chuck side and the cap is thicker. Loin side naturally has a bigger "eye", longer bones and a thinner cap.

It's actually a personal preference and depending how the butcher cuts your 3 bone. You can request a 3 bone from chuck or loin end specifically and he'll know exactly which to cut.

My reasoning for going loin-end 3 bone when trimming was because the loin end is more uniform, the eye is bigger and less fat "chunks" (not a bad thing by the way) in the roast which will be perfect for slicing, serving, and presentation.

I choice the chuck end for steaks because it's more fatty and we all know the fattier the steak the better plus chuck end has more flavor for me personally.

PS. $9 was a steal for a CAB Prime ribeye. It was $15 a week prior and luckily I waited to buy it last minute. Worked out perfect.

Back