Isn’t dry aged ribeye supposed to be tender and flavorful?

Yup!

We have a lot great places in Malibu for example. Not really for the food but the views. The way I see it you're contributing towards the rent of the prime location. Beautiful views sure but the food is almost always meh. If I want real good food it's far from the glitzy areas and in places most people have no clue about. That includes fine dining.

When I was in West Palm Beach last year and asked for suggestions on a good steakhouse, everyone was raving "The Meat Market" so we went. Well it was definitely a meat market but the steaks and food were alright. :becky:

Reservation only and it was full shorty right after we got there. Ultimately we paid for the scene both inside and outside.

61djZdwh.jpg

We enjoy spending time in the San Diego area and we enjoy good food, any recommendations? We ate at Bluewater Grill in Carlsbad Village in December which I know is a chain but the scallops were quite good, of course things do seem to taste better when you're on vacation and on the ocean.

Give me a grain fed beef any day, I get tickled every time I see grass fed beef advertising, the farmer makes a lot more $$ not having to grain finish a beef and makes folks think it tastes better lol, my taste buds say throw the grain and corn to them for 3 months or so.

Give me a grain fed beef any day, I get tickled every time I see grass fed beef advertising, the farmer makes a lot more $$ not having to grain finish a beef and makes folks think it tastes better lol, my taste buds say throw the grain and corn to them for 3 months or so.

I agree 100% about grain finishing. I'm also not breed specific. Angus has very good advertising, but I have a couple of sources for Herford beef that is really good.

We enjoy spending time in the San Diego area and we enjoy good food, any recommendations? We ate at Bluewater Grill in Carlsbad Village in December which I know is a chain but the scallops were quite good, of course things do seem to taste better when you're on vacation and on the ocean.

Truluck's in La Jolla but seems they're permanently closed. :sad: It's been a few years since I've been down there so nothing comes to mind. :sad: My buddy lives there let me check with him.

[Update] We were out last night and my wife wanted to go back to this resturant for another one pound lobster tail like she had last time. It’s off season and we were able to just walk in and get a table. They had a good crowd for the off season.

I asked and all of their meats are grain finished, so I decided to get the 2 pound porterhouse because I know we would get a few meals out of it.

Everything was excellent this time! I think the dry aged beef is what I didn’t like last time. It was the first time I ever tried it.

We kind of went nuts and this is probably the most expensive meal we ever had even though it was BYOB.

The bread was fresh baked and excellent.

IMG-5771.jpg

The salad was excellent

IMG-1617.png

The lobster ravioli with crab and scallops in a shallot cream sauce was excellent.

IMG_5772.jpg

My wife’s lobster tail looked so good that my wife watched them take a photo of it before bringing it out. Our waitress said the photo of the lobster would be on instagram when she delivered our food. This photo of her meal popped up on their instagram page while she was eating it.

IMG_5781.png

Here is a photo of our main course. Notice my wife is on her phone looking at instagram for the photo.

IMG_5776.jpg

This excellent dessert came with the meal and the coffee had to be French pressed because it was excellent.

IMG_5779.jpg

The meal was excellent and I fell asleep as soon as we got home.

I plan to come here again with friends in March because the tourists start showing up in April and May and the reservations will be packed.

We wound up eating lobster, steak and the sides for breakfast today, and finished everything for dinner today.

Last edited:
[Update] We were out last night and my wife wanted to go back to this resturant for another one pound lobster tail like she had last time. It’s off season and we were able to just walk in and get a table. They had a good crowd for the off season.

I asked and all of their meats are grain finished, so I decided to get the 2 pound porterhouse because I know we would get a few meals out of it.

Everything was excellent this time! I think the dry aged beef is what I didn’t like last time. It was the first time I ever tried it.

We kind of went nuts and this is probably the most expensive meal we ever had even though it was BYOB.

The bread was fresh baked and excellent.

IMG-5771.jpg

The salad was excellent

IMG-1617.png

The lobster ravioli with crab and scallops in a shallot cream sauce was excellent.

IMG_5772.jpg

My wife’s lobster tail looked so good that my wife watched them take a photo of it before bringing it out. Our waitress said the photo of the lobster would be on instagram when she delivered our food. This photo of her meal popped up on their instagram page while she was eating it.

IMG_5781.png

Here is a photo of our main course. Notice my wife is on her phone looking at instagram for the photo.

IMG_5776.jpg

This excellent dessert came with the meal and the coffee had to be French pressed because it was excellent.

IMG_5779.jpg

The meal was excellent and I fell asleep as soon as we got home.

I plan to come here again with friends in March because the tourists start showing up in April and May and the reservations will be packed.

We wound up eating lobster, steak and the sides for breakfast today, and finished everything for dinner today.

Your meal looks wonderful!

Interesting.
A premium cut of meat at a good restaurant should be flavorful. If not ???
I raise my own "grass fed" beef, and seldom order restaurant beef because it is mostly flavorless to me.

Interesting.
A premium cut of meat at a good restaurant should be flavorful. If not ???
I raise my own "grass fed" beef, and seldom order restaurant beef because it is mostly flavorless to me.

I think it was the “dry aged” that I didn’t like because the second meal I had in post #27 was excellent.

Having my own dry-ager, I can tell that it is an acquired taste and the longer the meat has been dry-aged, the more acquiring is needed. We also discovered it HIGHLY depends on the quality of the meat you start with. And the fat content. We have done several different cuts and several durations and it took us a bit to get used to eating meat that had been aged for +30 days.

That 2nd meal looked outstanding!

Back