20 inch horizontal offset build

Rockin and rollin! It's looking great, thanks for the updates!

Not a problem, when you do a build it's always good to step back and think about it along the way and taking a few pictures while thinking about the next step has helped me immensely so far.

Thanks for the kind words, hopefully I can get the firebox door all finished here in the next couple days.

After that I need to weld on the smokestack, install the grease drain, fab up a heavy duty coal grate for the inside of the firebox, and fab my shelf for the front-plus another to rest on top of the firebox for a burner.....

.....and then it's time for the burn-in+beers. :tea:

Nest round of pictures coming at ya! Almost done, just have smokestack, warming tray, and grease drain to complete.
zj6puh.jpg

Firbox door hinges.
hrautu.jpg

Heat safe toggle clamp for for forging purposes
21bdvo.jpg

.....which folds inside the horseshoe handle
s0zkgm.jpg

Front shelf? Check.
28micsy.jpg

Inside of firebox
2rwvw55.jpg

Firebox door inside....with 1/2 inch square bracing as suggested by Dave (dwfisk)
2ut3ewo.jpg

Completed firebox door...need to weld handle to damper vent piece yet
hteo1f.jpg

1 1/2" ball valve for grease drain....overkill? Probably:p

Last edited:
It's a cool moment when a solid month's worth of work leads to a steady stream of thin blue smoke pouring off the top of a stack :mrgreen:

Thanks for being here from the start! Turned out well!....thinking a shoulder or beef plate ribs for the initial cook this upcoming weekend

Great stuff! Makes we wish I was handy with that kind of thing....at all.

Well, if it makes you feel better the longest I've ever spent welding before this project was 15 minutes....and this project used 4 boxes of stick electrodes....so there's plenty of practice. It's not all that hard actually-just take the time to plan/draw everything out and think a step ahead at all times. With the exception of the rolling of the firebox/cook chamber and the laser cutting of the endcaps (done in a machine shop) everything here was done on $100 worth of tools. It's a project, that's for sure-but it's doable.

PM me if you want to start your own and have questions, I'm here to help.

Last edited:
Awesome looking cooker you got there

Thank you, plan was to add a shelf above the firebox originally for the purpose of a warming burner....but then I got lazy and decided that I'll just use the stove if need be. Worked on it long enough and wanted to see it run. Even though I don't have therms in it yet I can tell it's going to be pretty consistent in temp from one side to the other. Takes about an hr to get up to temp but once it's there.....holds heat extremely well. Slight leak around the door seal...and I'm not going to touch it, doesn't bother me a bit.

Overall, I would say that Feldon's pit calc worked very well....and I stand by my decision to make the stack bigger, seems to draw very well.

Very nice!
I bet your glad it's done..
And you see things you wish you did different....next time :mrgreen:
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Very nice!
I bet your glad it's done..
And you see things you wish you did different....next time :mrgreen:
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Best part is that now I've got a smoker for the fall -and the fall in Wisconsin is the best time of year. Football, the best weather, leaves turning....and Q!!!!

Yes, very happy to be done welding and cutting. I have a new level of respect towards guys who do this everyday.

Back