2 More Franklin Videos

He seems like the genuine article - funny and very likable. I don't get the "look at how great I am" vibe that some adopt. I'd love to have a beer with him and just hang out. If we had some BBQ- well that would just be icing on the cake.

i wonder why he only uses one level of grates in his smokers...seems like he could use the extra space of a 2nd level

He seems like the genuine article - funny and very likable. I don't get the "look at how great I am" vibe that some adopt. I'd love to have a beer with him and just hang out. If we had some BBQ- well that would just be icing on the cake.

Wife and I set up a trip week after July 4th for that very reason, eat some Q, sign my book, shake hands and whatever else! Can't wait

Yeah I'm digging his new series too. Watched the brisket eppy 3 times before my cook last weekend lol. Is this the book you all are talking about? Came out in April; I think this is his only one.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Barbecue-Meat-Smoking-Manifesto-Aaron/dp/1607747200/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1435143703&sr=1-1&keywords=aaron+franklin"]Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto: Aaron Franklin, Jordan Mackay: 9781607747208: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61WhpMoMB%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@61WhpMoMB%2BL[/ame]

i wonder why he only uses one level of grates in his smokers...seems like he could use the extra space of a 2nd level

My guess is because he wants the grate to be exactly where the exhaust stack is. Watching the pit video he talks about how he puts the stack at grate level, and then opens it up some so the exhaust collects all of the hot air to go up the stack.

His theory is you want fast moving air/heat moving over the meat. Adding a second rack would cause some slowdown in the drafting since it adds other obstacles in the way from it exiting the stack.

My guess is because he wants the grate to be exactly where the exhaust stack is. Watching the pit video he talks about how he puts the stack at grate level, and then opens it up some so the exhaust collects all of the hot air to go up the stack.

His theory is you want fast moving air/heat moving over the meat. Adding a second rack would cause some slowdown in the drafting since it adds other obstacles in the way from it exiting the stack.

I would agree - it's all about air flow. In his book he has a diagram that explains the convection affect of his design (pg 48). Great book by the way - I've read it twice already cover-to-cover.

Edit: pg 48 -- added the icon b/c of the 8 + )

Back