1st cook on my new UDS

blockhd

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Rok
Spare ribs... Slap of mustard, sprinkled with Stubbs BBQ rub + some random pork rub...

Target temp: 250F

• 2 h unwrapped (started ribs down, then turned meat down after 1h)
  • 1h wrapped ( no additives)
  • 1h unwrapped

I had a runaway temps after turning, forgot lid cracked open... Was running 300 during second hour (before wrap).

Nevertheless, i am very pleased with end result. Toothpick probe passed, so tender. Missed a bit of saltiness, otherwise perfectly spicy.

Photos for judges:

YV0OwEel.jpg

UicxtEEl.jpg

MyJV6Yyl.jpeg

uduZ9Bil.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. Ribs were not really dry, but the outside developed a nice crust, due to runaway temps ☺️ I will try to beat this next time for sure. I have to say that i haven't used any kind of moisturizer or basting...

Last edited:
That certainly is unique. What is the diameter?

Diameter 500 mm (24.5 inch). What it lacks in diameter it compensate in height - 1000 mm (40in), which is about 6 inches taller than your standard 55gal drum, which i think could be beneficiary for drum smoker.

Apart from runaway temps due to cracked lid ( dummy me) it is very stable and efficient... I believe 16h cook at 250F should be no issue with about 6.5 lb of lump - this is what i can fit inside coal basket.

Looking forward to future cooks.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Diameter 500 mm (24.5 inch). What it lacks in diameter it compensate in height - 1000 mm (40in), which is about 6 inches taller than your standard 55gal drum, which i think could be beneficiary for drum smoker.

Apart from runaway temps due to cracked lid ( dummy me) it is very stable and efficient... I believe 16h cook at 250F should be no issue with about 6.5 lb of lump - this is what i can fit inside coal basket.

Looking forward to future cooks.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

It must be the height that made it look deceiving because I would have estimated it at around 16 in diameter, but 24.5 inches, that's awesome! You can certainly get a lot of food on there.

Back