THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JasonS

Knows what a fatty is.
Reading all of the awesome content on this forum, really pushed me over the edge to get a cooker that was designed to use wood as a fuel source, as I have plenty of Weber Kettles to handle charcoal cooks :thumb:

26638709598_8ff0e939b2_c.jpg

I scored this at Walmart a few weeks ago. The clearance tag caught my eye, and after a quick discussion with the manger, it was a done deal!

Forum member “robert-r” was very generous, and helped me get the heat diffuser and tuning plate dialed in, to make this cool little cooker work much better. Thanks again, Robert!

I sprayed the inside with cooking spray and fired it up. I did that a couple times before actually cooking on it.

Yesterday, I had the whole day to run this thing and really see how much was involved, burning wood for an entire cook. I had a rack of St. Louis cut Spares, three small Chuck Short Ribs and a 7.5lb Pork Shoulder. I used Applewood splits/chunks for fuel. All ribs were seasoned with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. The shoulder was rubbed with Stubb’s Bar-B-Q rub and Bone Suckin’ Sauce rub.

I started with a fully lit chimney of briquettes and was burning wood soon after. The food went on about 30 minutes later.

Since I was adding fuel about every 30 minutes, and couldn’t get too distracted, I decided to take pics and (hopefully) put a post together, after I was done. These are some of the many pics I took…

38699521930_7ba2a4c2b9_c.jpg

40509554211_6c901339fa_c.jpg

Leftover pizza from Friday night’s cook. :mrgreen:

39799511184_20b4b48cd3_c.jpg

The Pork Shoulder started about an hour earlier than the ribs. This is after several hours.

26638720438_e77da0b811_c.jpg

39614543125_b8dd42d378_c.jpg

Ribs are done!

38699479490_6d14767b26_c.jpg

25639325877_89df920be2_c.jpg

39799494154_a3df5deffb_c.jpg

40509571661_6a0fe0f66f_c.jpg

All of the ribs were ready in about 5 hours, or so. The shoulder took closer to 9 hours, that’s the reason for no finished pics of it. It was all very tasty and was shared with neighbors and co-workers. The only down side to this type of cook, is that the fuel cost more than the meat! Yup…I’ll be cooking like this again!

Congratulations on your new smoker...I have one and it does turn out some really good q. BTW...those ribs looked delicious!!!

Thanks for all of the positive comments! I'm really pleased with the results and glad to have this new cooker.

Get yourself a cord and average down the cost of your fuel :thumb:

1/4 cord of Apple is $240, which is a major savings. Only problem is that the splits would be too big for the fire box and I currently don't have the ability to cut it down...yet. :heh:

1/4 cord of Apple is $240, which is a major savings. Only problem is that the splits would be too big for the fire box and I currently don't have the ability to cut it down...yet. :heh:

go to the local home depot and pick up a maul and split by hand, easy to do

Thanks for all of the positive comments! I'm really pleased with the results and glad to have this new cooker.

Harbor Freight electric chainsaw for less than $40.

If I want to use this thing frequently, I'll definitely need to buy at least 1/4 cord, or more, to make it more affordable to run. I have the ability to split the wood, so the chainsaw is probably the best option. Thanks for the ideas guys!

Back