THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TxQGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Big C
Happy late 4th, everyone! I always love when y’all make those start-to-finish posts with pictures of your cooks. I figured I’d try my hand! I’m not much of a photographer, so it won’t be as fancy as a lot of yours, but here goes.

Let’s start with the night before the cook. Rub those chicken wings down!

cMDQnQLh.jpg

Done. Now the grown ups have something to nibble while we’re waiting for the smoker to do it’s work.

eU6MRErh.jpg

Beef rib rub. I’m pretty loyal to Fiesta Brand as you might be able to tell. :mrgreen:

TME6xh7h.jpg

Ready to rock. HEB cut these guys absolutely TINY, but no worries.

TnOclPMh.jpg

Pork rib rub. Forgot to take a pic of the actual racks, so here’s a pic of the trimmings. :laugh: Gonna put them right near the firebox to make some crispy cook’s treats!

RGkvU8qh.jpg

Next morning, 830am. Tiny beef ribs are on!

2RhZ3Zmh.jpg

An hour later, let’s add the pork ribs! The three on the left are gonna be wrapped 3-1-2 and sauced at the end, and the vertical facing one is gonna be unwrapped with no sauce. You guys inspired me to try nekkid ribs so here we are.

vo8FoT9h.jpg

Three packs of hot dogs for the kids, and a few wings for the grown-ups to nibble.

WZfwzxHh.jpg

Smoker is full to capacity! I had to take out my water pan to make room. I moved my rack of nekkid ribs to the far left. The three racks in the center have completed their hour in foil and are now being brushed with sauce. Beef ribs are chilling in a foil pan with a bit o f beef broth and beer. Two links of Chappell Hill smoked sausage and my last link of spicy deer sausage from last season. Oh, and that meat square on the foil? That is a slice of spam. Yes, spam. I was curious, y’all. Don’t look at me like that. :razz: It was actually really tasty.

aUoOfGfh.jpg

Done! Here are the nekkid ribs and the beef ribs.

ZKCp1ABh.jpg

Here are the wrapped ribs and the sausage.

UO8EFRHh.jpg

Close up!

357Kxl6h.jpg

Here is where my lack of photography skills are especially evident…but I wanted to show a beef rib cross section and my wife’s absolutely AMAZING tater salad.

rZFvxOzh.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Oh, and folks…I think I liked the nekkid ribs the best. Matter of fact, I don’t figure I’ll ever wrap a rack of pork ribs again. The flavor was SO much better. Maybe my sense of smell/taste was just dead after 8 hours in the smoke and hot sun, but I swear that the wrapped ribs tasted almost bland by comparison. Thanks for pushing me in that direction. Wrapping/unwrapping is a pain in the &%^ anyhow to be honest. Hope y’all had a good 4th!

Ya, I quit wrapping ribs also. A pain and uses a lot of foil and easy to poke holes in it.

Was the deer sausage already smoked or was it raw? The wife put a couple packages on the Egg last week that were smoked back when we made sausage. Thought it a little dry but still tasty.

Thanks for the post with pics! I had to work yesterday, so I love seeing the cooks of others. Bet it all was great!

I like everything you are about. That is the kinda cook I love.. nothing says excess like excess!!

If you have the realestate, use it!

Well done sir!

rb

Was the deer sausage already smoked or was it raw? The wife put a couple packages on the Egg last week that were smoked back when we made sausage. Thought it a little dry but still tasty.

It was already smoked. And yeah, you are 100% right about it getting dry. The first time I tried cooking it on the smoker it was kinda dry. So this time I had it on the hot end of the cook chamber for an hour, and then foiled it and put it on the cooler end to keep it from drying out.

Any left overs ?

Yup, there are about a dozen of the pork ribs and several hot dogs left. I told my wife I didn't think we needed to cook three packs of them, but better safe than sorry I guess. :laugh:

Good looking cook.

I've dabbled with wrapping on and off for years and it just doesn't work for me.

Didn't wrap my plate ribs during the cook yesterday, just for the rest. They were so farkin' good! Not one of my friends touched the BBQ sauce - always a good sign.

Fine looking festive feast you've got there!

I'm sure your guests only left hungry if they worked at it.

Nice cook for only your 4th attempt. Oops, misread that:wink:. You did a great job especially with a cook that size, and congrats on the results.

what kind of cooker are you using?

It was given to me by a friend whose Dad apparently had it custom made many years back. There's no visible branding on it. It is 3/8" with a 7 foot stack. It's smallish but darn sturdy. Let's just say that moving it into my backyard didn't do my hernia any favors. :biggrin1:

6A75eXoh.jpg

Back