THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I recently was given four Dutch Ovens from my grandmother in varying sizes, they have been in storage for years, two were my great grandmothers. I will have to post size/brands. Guess I need to recondition them?

I recently was given four Dutch Ovens from my grandmother in varying sizes, they have been in storage for years, two were my great grandmothers. I will have to post size/brands. Guess I need to recondition them?

There are several ways to recondition your cast iron heirlooms. Don't pattern yourself after me :))

I've used several methods and what has worked for me may fail on another piece. Google search electrolysis. I believe that's what most pros do. I am very happy with my methods, but honestly read study and listen to those who know what they're doing. I tend to MSU in the culinary world. So far it's all worked out fine.

Bludawg has a great process on restoring/seasoning schedule:

Once a day for a week
Once a week for a month
Once a month for a year
Use it

And it's on. Green chile Dutch Oven enchiladas. Burger seasoned with Chef Meritos carne puerco , Vidalia onion and elephant garlic. Mixed in Durango Diner green chile sauce. Layered mixture with spelt flour tortillas and a green chile queso. Lid on and into a 350 degree oven for- however long it takes. Beer tonight is "Mine"- aka Shiner- my salute to the east.

Last edited:
Back