1920-?? Griswold #6 Dutch Oven clean up re-seasoning

I recently was given four Dutch Ovens from my grandmother in varying sizes, they have been in storage for years, two were my great grandmothers. I will have to post size/brands. Guess I need to recondition them?

I recently was given four Dutch Ovens from my grandmother in varying sizes, they have been in storage for years, two were my great grandmothers. I will have to post size/brands. Guess I need to recondition them?

There are several ways to recondition your cast iron heirlooms. Don't pattern yourself after me :))

I've used several methods and what has worked for me may fail on another piece. Google search electrolysis. I believe that's what most pros do. I am very happy with my methods, but honestly read study and listen to those who know what they're doing. I tend to MSU in the culinary world. So far it's all worked out fine.

Bludawg has a great process on restoring/seasoning schedule:

Once a day for a week
Once a week for a month
Once a month for a year
Use it

And it's on. Green chile Dutch Oven enchiladas. Burger seasoned with Chef Meritos carne puerco , Vidalia onion and elephant garlic. Mixed in Durango Diner green chile sauce. Layered mixture with spelt flour tortillas and a green chile queso. Lid on and into a 350 degree oven for- however long it takes. Beer tonight is "Mine"- aka Shiner- my salute to the east.

Last edited:
Back