fixing up an old 26" red weber

troytime

Full Fledged Farker
2011-09-08_21-02-36_10.jpg

I acquired this beast over the summer. It was several hours away (in wisconsin) but I got lucky and was early enough to get it. Seller said she had dozens of callers who wanted it. It was REALLLLLY beat up though. Totally worth the $25 i paid (IMO)

What i've done:
- leg sockets were smooshed into bowl and out of alignment, so i hammered them back into place from the inside of the bowl. This sucked, and knocked off even MORE porcelain finish
- bent side handle back into semi straightness. When i got it, one handle was bent all the way up to the lip of the bowl
- the lid handle was also crushed down at an angle, i straightened it
- i used steel wool to get rid of any rust
- i masked off everything but the chips that were larger than a nickel and painted them with VHT red caliper paint. It took several coats to build it up to match the porcelain
- after de-masking, i sprayed the paint into the can's lid and used a small paintbrush (from a watercolor set) to paint ALL the chips smaller than a nickel (there were more than a hundred)
- i sanded and stained the handle. several times because i'm a noob and kept messing it up
- cleaned and polished the legs, wheels, and triangle base. Nevr Dull and steel wool worked magic. I left the wheels on the triangle base with the two legs because i didn't want to remove the metal caps (they're useless after removal and i wanted to keep them original)
- bent back the grate straps, pretty much all of the standoffs were smooshed down, or bent up.

what's left:
- clean up and re-shape the ash catcher. it's filthy and has lots of dents.
- possibly add a high-heat clear-coat. sand and polish to match porcelain better
- clean and polish daisy wheels, reattach
- clean, or replace grill grate. I'm going to check out a local cast iron option tomorrow. the old one is really rusty - i have not attempted to salvage yet.
- possibly touch up the wheels with some black and white paint. one wheel is significantly better than the other
- replace a missing thumbscrew. any idea where i can find one???
- cook up a kickbutt meal

so far i've put about 12 hours into this beast.

big-red-thumb.jpg

It's much closer now.

I still need to find a way to re-attach the wooden handle.
I managed to clean the grates. a couple grill stones and some rust removing chemicals rocked!

Did You brush or use a spray gun to paint?

Nice work so far. I have a performer that I need to refurbish (one with a stainless top) I'm looking for high heat paint in John Deere Green.

Did you see any in the caliper paint section?

Mine has a few big chips with rust on the bottom section, tried to sand with no luck. What did you use to sand the whole thing?

Thanks for any info.

there's no date code. its from 1958, possibly 59

i used a rattle can - vht high heat caliper paint
i also used a tiny paint brush with the same paint (just sprayed into the can's lid)

any advice for re-attaching the wooden handle?

Originally it was held on with 2 rivets (which i cut off)

maybe that was a bad idea...

That is beautiful! Great score. I would love to have a 26, let alone a RED 26. Can you re rivet it? If not consider some stainless bolts and nuts.

Back