Wok and Roll! Cast Iron Seasoning.

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Greetings Friends, Family, and fellow cooking addicts!

Have you been looking at a piece of cast iron cookware and been wondering what it would be like to own it?
Have you come across a piece of cast iron that hasn't been "seasoned" and you are nervous about doing it yourself and therefore you haven't bought it even though you go to bed every night dreaming about it and lusting for the food you could potentially cook with it?
Do you own a cast iron piece of cook ware that has been assaulted to the point where all the "seasoning" has come off and now you think it's ruined?
Are you just curious about what the heck "seasoning" exactly is?

Worry and wonder no further! Go out and buy that piece of mythical cook ware or get ready to revitalize that long lost friend you miss cooking on!

I recently purchased a cast iron wok and during the seasoning process I took a few pictures to share with you all on the process.

What is cast iron "seasoning"? Glad you asked! Seasoning is the process of imparting oil/fats to bare metal to provide it with a rust resistant non-stick coating. The rust resistance comes from the oil/fats filling in the pores of the metal and providing a water barrier. The non stick comes from not only the filling in of the pores of the metal but also because in the metals raw form it is covered with microscopic jagged peeks and the oil coats the peeks and fills in any other "valleys" there might be between the peeks creating the smooth surface.

Alright, enough of that. On to the actual seasoning process I use!

First acquire a new piece of "un-seasoned" or raw cast iron.
1026101512.jpg

Next, get out a cookie sheet or pan big enough to put the piece of cast iron on.
1026101514.jpg

Crank up your oven to 450 degrees!
1026101522a.jpg

Next get out some form of fat or oil suitable for high heat cooking. Such as, lard, peanut oil, crisco, or, my personal favorite, BACON GREASE! There are some other options but, these are some of the most popular ones.
1026101514a.jpg

Now, add some of the oil/fat to the cast iron. Not much, a little will go a very long way. Then grab a paper towel and fold it up.
1026101517.jpg

Start rubbing the oil/fat into the cast iron.
1026101517a.jpg

The metal will have a nice even sheen to it when you get done.
1026101519.jpg

Don't forget to flip it over and coat all the sides. Now remember we are doing this not only to create non-stick but, to prevent rusting and therefore we season the entire piece of cast iron.
1026101520.jpg

Set it on the pan you have already set aside.
1026101522.jpg

Then into the oven it goes! Warning! Make sure to have a fan going as there may be some smoke.
1026101523.jpg

After about 25 minutes take the pan out and let it cool. You should notice that it has taken on an almost satin like finish.
1026101626.jpg

Once it's cooled, time to do it all again! Start with some more oil/fat, less than even before. Rub it in again and back in the oven it goes for another 25 minutes.
1026101800.jpg

Once it has cooled, there is one last thing to do before its first use. Take some aromatics such as, onions, shallots, or garlic, and cook them on the piece before actually cooking anything on it. This will start the wonderful imparting of flavors into your food off on the right foot. In my case, I took a head of garlic and chopped it in half.
056.jpg

I then took the garlic and firmly rubbed it all along the cooking surface.
057.jpg

Your cast iron is officially ready to cook with!
060.jpg

But what about cleaning it and maintaining it? Simple, never, ever, use soap on your cast iron. It could remove the seasoning and cause you to have to start the whole process over again. To clean, just use warm water and a cloth. If you have stuff that is really stuck you can use some form of a soft scrub or invest in a wok brush. These are designed to not scratch the metal. You can fill it with water and allow the stuff to soak and come off that way but, make sure you immediately towel dry afterwards! To insure that you protect your cast iron from rust, besides drying it immediately, you should also give it a very, light coating oil before storing it.
For those who are worried about possible germs or bacteria due to not using soap, remember your cast iron is going to be cooked on. Meaning it is going to become so hot that none of these nasty little critters can survive, potentially even in the handle so make sure to always use an oven mitt when grabbing them.

Hope this helped out some and caused them to get over their fears of owning cast iron.
Thanks for looking!

Did I hear a "Niner" in there? Are you talking on your Wok-ie Talkie?? :laugh:

Nice tutorial! Godda question though, what about on a dutch oven though?
I've done the same seasoning process that you describe (with lard) but I always end up with the inside and outside of the lid loosing it's seasoning when I use a few briqs to cook with... It literally appears to flake off the underside (inside) of the lid... they are very, I mean very, small flakes and have a rainbow like color & shinyness to them, if that makes any sense... Do I need to try something else?

Thanks!

Did I hear a "Niner" in there? Are you talking on your Wok-ie Talkie?? :laugh:

Nice tutorial! Godda question though, what about on a dutch oven though?
I've done the same seasoning process that you describe (with lard) but I always end up with the inside and outside of the lid loosing it's seasoning when I use a few briqs to cook with... It literally appears to flake off the underside (inside) of the lid... they are very, I mean very, small flakes and have a rainbow like color & shinyness to them, if that makes any sense... Do I need to try something else?

Thanks!

Without looking at it myself, two thoughts come to mind, either the seasoning process requires higher heat, the metal was wet before applying the oil, or the seasoning itself is too thick. It is kind of one of those tricky things at times. I've noticed a couple of times that some cast iron is extremely smooth to begin with and therefore has barey taken on any thick layer of seasoning at all. In those cases I would, always remember to lightly coat the metal after each cleaning and then make sure to heat it up good before using it the next time. By doing this, I've never had any issues with "thin" seasonings or with ones I've been concerned might even be bare metal at times. Don't know if this helps but, it's worked for me. :becky:

Nice tutorial Tom. I should have fresh bacon grease today so that I can season my new wok this weekend; you seriously did this post justice! :clap2:

Thanks for the very informative tutorial. Now my question. I recently acquired a dutch oven that has been sitting around for some time and needs a serious cleaning and reseasoning. Parts of it looks like rust. What is the best way to clean cast iron up before seasoning?:confused:

Thanks for the very informative tutorial. Now my question. I recently acquired a dutch oven that has been sitting around for some time and needs a serious cleaning and reseasoning. Parts of it looks like rust. What is the best way to clean cast iron up before seasoning?:confused:

Honestly, I have scrubbed them up as good as I can, and then seasoned them, I've even done the seasoning process to the rusted portions. Now honestly, all of these cases have been just some light surface rust. In two of them, just by doing this, the rust has vanished. In one the rust area has appeared darker but, no longer looks like rust. I hope someone who has dealt with some harder rust issues speaks up on this one though.

Nice tutorial Tom, that is a good way to season a pan or pot up. I get the flaking also, but, it is a simple matter to re-season, so I never worried about it. Rust is another issue altogether. There are some folks that use things like CLR or Coke to clear the rust, the acid being the trick there. I have used the coke, some how, using CLR on cookware seems a little extreme. I have heard of electrolysis being used as well. If you have a piece of cast iron that is truly important for you to recover, I suggest you contact ChuckwagonBBQ here, he is the cast iron expert.

I bought a dutch oven that was NASTY :shock:. To get the thing looking new again I filled the oven up with a full with lit charcoals and kept replenishing the charcoal until the oven was a light red. Then pulled it out and hit it with a wire brush. Repeated the process over and even had to hit it with my drill and wire brush. Eventually all of the old crud came off and then I reseasoned the oven and its a thing of beauty to cook with :cool:

Is it okay to just cook some bacon in it from the get go then spread the grease around?

If it's just surface rust clean with 000 or 0000 steel wool, you can use a little rubbing alcohol to help if you so desire - it can take a while. If there is any surface erosion where the rust has actually eaten the material:
med_metal_092808_05.jpg

I'd toss it and buy another one.

Is it okay to just cook some bacon in it from the get go then spread the grease around?

If you get a Lodge piece that is already prewseasoned go for it. But, if it's raw metal. you will fine that there is usually metal dust on it that won't go away. Strangly enough when you first spread the oil/fat on it alot of this powder will show up on your oily rag or towel. Don't worry though, once it goes through the first bake this will go away. Could you fry bacon in "raw" cast iron then spread the fat around? Yes, but, I wouldn't eat the bacon. :becky:

More power!!!

I've had a couple cast iron skillets that got pretty rusty while out on loan for a friend's camping trip. (I think somebody used soap and a Scotch-Brite pad on them, then left them out to drip dry)

The cure for the rust was a wire brush disk on an angle grinder. Stripped the rust right off.

Once that was done, wiping the skillet inside and out with a paper towel dampened with vegetable oil cleans out all the metal dust. Then re-season the skillet. I use the same method outlined in Big Butz's excellent instructions.

I've always used Crisco on all my cast iron, whether it's a skillet, a dutch oven or a cast iron griddle. I follow the same method that BBbbq uses. Works like a charm.....

The Dutch Oven Doctor for cast Iron Woes

Bruce Bonnet is the chapter advisor for the North Texas Prarie Dogs, a chapter of the Lone Star Dutch oven Sosciety and a really nice guy.

I've met with the NTPD a couple of times and Bruce had the best looking black iron I've every seen.

Take a look at his articles on cast iron care and seasoning he's got a lot of good advice.

http://dutchovendoctor.com/

If you've got some flaking or a little rust be sure to check out:

http://dutchovendoctor.com/removeseasoning.htm

If you still need more help with a tough project drop him a e-mail I'm sure he'd be glad to help you out.

Yall have fun!

Good advice! We cook all most completely with cast iron (indoors and quite abit outdoors too) If you do use water with your cast iron don't just wipe it dry, put on the stove with heat for a bit. Cast is very pourus and isn't always dry just by looks. Then give it a thin film out oil to store it with.
If you only use it once in a while it is good to put a paper towel in it with a little hanging out ot the lid. This will wick any moisture out.

Thanks for all the advice -- I have been wanting a cast iron wok for a long time and I think this post will push me over the edge to finally getting one.

Bacon grease is not recommended for seasoning cast iron. It turns rancid. Crisco, Pam or peanut oil is what is recommended.

It's what I've always used and have never had a problem. I suppose if someone only used their cast iron once a year or so, it would be something to take into consideration. I will admit though that I only use it for the first seasoning and cooking, if I am putting my cast iron away and want to give it a light oil coating, I will usually shoot it with some pam and then rub it down with a paper towel.

What I learned from my great grampa...AND america's test kitchen is that with semi bad rust inside the pans or do's throw some oil in it, then a bit....like 1/4 to half cup of salt heat that sucker up....be it on the stove or oven....then using gloves....i use my welding gloves scrub that sucker down but good with steel wool.you will be able to feel when it starts to smooth out once you feel it is clean enough rinse...repeat if necessary. Season that sucker like bigbutz said, or wat I do is just heat it up on med high on the stove til wwell its hot then take off fire apply crisco for seasoning it can stand the heat.and finally COOK WITH THE BEST COOKWARE you'll ever have

Back