• Who's salt curing their meat

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Anyone out here salt curing meat or making salumi? I wanna see what you got!

Let's Talk about it... :bored:

Pulled this out the maturing room this week. Cold smoked capicola cured with fermented smoked scotch bonnet peppers.
I8pUtgCh.jpg

zOfxZlKh.jpg

Last edited:
I do and so does Suds, and a few others here…I made capicola and Spanish lomo. Currently looking for something to do next.

Bill those came out really awesome! Capicola is definitely a fav! What equipment did you sell? Really don't need much.

Did you cook anything with the pancetta?

Hey Phrasty!

Did this last year! Results were fantastic for a 3 month process in my climate.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299415

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300361

I thought I was moving out of Melbourne last year so I sold all my gear. Unfortunately, now I'm in another winter and don't have the gear to do this again. Major Bummer.

Cheers!

Bill

Hey Adam sooo I just kinda stalked your profile and saw the posts... love it!
What you got planned next? :cool:

I do and so does Suds, and a few others here…I made capicola and Spanish lomo. Currently looking for something to do next.

I have a curing chamber I made out of a deep freezer. I've only made a couple batches of coppa and a test run of lonzino so far, hoping to make some salami and other things soon. I have this setup pretty dialed in, happy with how it maintains temp and RH %.

Last edited:
Bill those came out really awesome! Capicola is definitely a fav! What equipment did you sell? Really don't need much.

Did you cook anything with the pancetta?

Sold my grinder and stuffer. Sold the netting mortar and the netting. Sold the books. Sold the tubs.

Yes I can go buy it all again but I really am hoping to leave Melbourne even though I just got a new job here. I need to get away to a climate I can handle.

The pancetta ended up in everything I cooked over the period of a month or two. I ate the coppocolo (which is what it's really called) all myself with cheeses and olives. It was awesome.

That set up looks clean! Hanging scale is a brilliant touch... think I'll have to add that to my set up. Sure makes quick checks easier. Love it!

I have a curing chamber I made out of a deep freezer. I've only made a couple batches of coppa and a test run of lonzino so far, hoping to make some salami and other things soon. I have this setup pretty dialed in, happy with how it maintains temp and RH %.

Ohhhh you really got rid of everything. I get it, would be pointless to require if you leaving anyway... Want to relocate in Australia or jumping the rock all together?

Sold my grinder and stuffer. Sold the netting mortar and the netting. Sold the books. Sold the tubs.

Yes I can go buy it all again but I really am hoping to leave Melbourne even though I just got a new job here. I need to get away to a climate I can handle.

The pancetta ended up in everything I cooked over the period of a month or two. I ate the coppocolo (which is what it's really called) all myself with cheeses and olives. It was awesome.

Back