Tutorial: Biltong For LYU370 Andy

Don't feed the troll. He finds something wrong with everything.
You can call me a troll if you like, but i was being serious. I have made a lot of jerky/cured meats over 50 years. I like how you find the absolute negative of my post. I think his Biltong looks good, but just not shelf stable for a long time in large batches.

But go ahead do you, hate on me since i trigger you so bad. Its actually hilarious.:mrgreen:

As has been mentioned in several other threads. Most of your comments are always negative. That makes it very easy for many of us to dismiss any positive comments you may have.

Biltong has been made the same way for I don't know how long and no one has died. :noidea:

As has been mentioned in several other threads. Most of your comments are always negative. That makes it very easy for many of us to dismiss any positive comments you may have.

:noidea:

Your loss my man. Its a shame your skin is so thin, you can't take cold. You can say everything is negative, but 80% is just constructive criticism. Its a shame this forum has become what it is. I remember almost two decades ago this forum actually had a backbone. Not so much today.

You can call me a troll if you like, but i was being serious. I have made a lot of jerky/cured meats over 50 years. I like how you find the absolute negative of my post. I think his Biltong looks good, but just not shelf stable for a long time in large batches.

But go ahead do you, hate on me since i trigger you so bad. Its actually hilarious.:mrgreen:

For what it's worth I took your comments at face value, so please trust me. That stuff is properly cured. The outer darker area is because of the deep colour of the marinade. Salts however do get in. The more it dries the darker the inner gets. It's up to personal taste how wet or dry you like it.

As I said, I have a piece in the fridge that has been there for 2 years at least. That piece was sent in a post parcel and was at room temperature for 6 weeks until it was returned as I had put the wrong address on it. I suppose now is as good of a time to open it up and eat it.

You can see it has "Titch" written on it.
P-20221216-095203.jpg

First Cut. Smells fine. Looks fine.
P-20221216-095320.jpg

Tastes Fine.
P-20221216-095343.jpg

The whole point of air drying IS for a long and stable shelf life. This stuff is done traditional South African style where meat was salted and dried for long journeys across the Karoo. Salting and Air Drying is done in so many cultures. Look at a parma ham, you will see the inside is not as dark as the outer and that stuff is also aged for years and stable for years.

I hope that helps put it to rest. All I can suggest is you actually go and do it which is what the tutorial was all about.

Cheers!

Bitlong boxes may be cheap down under. Not so much up here. Although I did find a pic on Amazon in the Crown Bitlong seasoning link, someone made a bitlong box out of a 5 gallon bucket. May look into that.

Bitlong boxes may be cheap down under. Not so much up here. Although I did find a pic on Amazon in the Crown Bitlong seasoning link, someone made a bitlong box out of a 5 gallon bucket. May look into that.

You could make one cheap with a heat lamp bulb, a cardboard box and a fixture.
Also, i thought you put me on ignore, why can i see your posts?
Change of heart? Am i growing on you brether?

I can see that the troll has posted something based on what I see in the Forum. But when I click on the thread I can't see any of his posts. This is fabulous, wish I found the ignore years ago, would have saved a lot of frustration.

I can see that the troll has posted something based on what I see in the Forum. But when I click on the thread I can't see any of his posts. This is fabulous, wish I found the ignore years ago, would have saved a lot of frustration.

Or you can just learn to "tolerate" me. I am not that terrible. If you didn't ignore my post you would see i am serious when it comes to Jerky.

Bitlong boxes may be cheap down under. Not so much up here. Although I did find a pic on Amazon in the Crown Bitlong seasoning link, someone made a biltong box out of a 5 gallon bucket. May look into that.

https://meately.com/how-to-build-biltong-box/

So all you need is a box. I just recently refurbed mine. The fan had failed and when I took the light fixture apart (as the fan was wired into that) the whole assembly fell apart.

Replaced the light fitting with a new plastic one. Bought an AC fan from a local electrical shop and rewired the lot. Very easy.

In reality a biltong box is a luxury. You can just hang the meat from a rafter and put a fan on it.

https://meately.com/how-to-build-biltong-box/

So all you need is a box. I just recently refurbed mine. The fan had failed and when I took the light fixture apart (as the fan was wired into that) the whole assembly fell apart.

Replaced the light fitting with a new plastic one. Bought an AC fan from a local electrical shop and rewired the lot. Very easy.

In reality a biltong box is a luxury. You can just hang the meat from a rafter and put a fan on it.

The problem with biltong is its like BBQ. Everybody has their own way of doing it. Their way is right and everybody else is wrong. Tends to be that way when you ask folks from different places in SA.

Biltong boxes are fairly easy to make with a PC fan & any decent sized box. Some people say you need a light bulb in them for convective heat, but I haven't had issues without it on my end. A variable speed PC fan makes for easy drying at the speed you need! I have might set up where it draws air/blows in & passively exhausts out the back side after flowing over the meat.

Good looking product you have. Nice write up! I'd love to try some. I've been making biltong since a little after vising SA a few years ago. The world needs more of it! Also needs more braai spices, but that's a discussion for another time.

LHJD54Yh.jpg

u1G7fagh.jpg

HkIOuZRh.jpg

Kh8GoA0h.jpg

A worth while investment is a hinged biltong slicer. Though if you already have a meat slicer you're in business because that'll do the trick & then some. You can even do super thin slices which are my fav.

Last edited:
Biltong boxes are fairly easy to make with a PC fan & any decent sized box. Some people say you need a light bulb in them for convective heat, but I haven't had issues without it on my end. A variable speed PC fan makes for easy drying at the speed you need! I have might set up where it draws air/blows in & passively exhausts out the back side after flowing over the meat.

I have a 10 or 12 tray convection dehydrator. I could probably just leave the top tray in to hang the hooks on and remove the rest and cut a piece of cardboard as a door and use some painters tape as a hinge. It goes as low as 70F so i'm sure it would work just as good as a Biltong box.

Last edited:
Back