Tutorial: Biltong For LYU370 Andy

The problem with biltong is its like BBQ. Everybody has their own way of doing it. Their way is right and everybody else is wrong. Tends to be that way when you ask folks from different places in SA.

Biltong boxes are fairly easy to make with a PC fan & any decent sized box. Some people say you need a light bulb in them for convective heat, but I haven't had issues without it on my end. A variable speed PC fan makes for easy drying at the speed you need! I have might set up where it draws air/blows in & passively exhausts out the back side after flowing over the meat.

Good looking product you have. Nice write up! I'd love to try some. I've been making biltong since a little after vising SA a few years ago. The world needs more of it! Also needs more braai spices, but that's a discussion for another time.

LHJD54Yh.jpg

u1G7fagh.jpg

HkIOuZRh.jpg

Kh8GoA0h.jpg

A worth while investment is a hinged biltong slicer. Though if you already have a meat slicer you're in business because that'll do the trick & then some. You can even do super thin slices which are my fav.

This is a very common and effective setup. A friend of mine is doing it this way with my recipe and now he is even selling his.

I am absolutely with you that there's no one way to do this, and as such YES! You can do it with a fan and by hanging it on a hook danged near anywhere if the climate is OK. Naturally you don't hang Biltong in the woods in Winter in the Yukon.

I have a 10 or 12 tray convection dehydrator. I could probably just leave the top tray in to hang the hooks on and remove the rest and cut a piece of cardboard as a door and use some painters tape as a hinge. It goes as low as 70F so i'm sure it would work just as good as a Biltong box.

Only one way to find out! 70F is fine. It has a fan.

Cheers!

Bill

What's the meat of choice? I've read it's round. Have read top round (topside) is preferred as it's more tender, but bottom round (silverside) is traditional. For jerky I usually use eye of round as it's the leanest.

I like the Silverside for the additional fat on it which is sometimes sought after.
Wouldn't the extra fat go rancid? That's why we use the leanest meat possible for jerky. But once I get a couple more details, I'll be making some biltong.

I've seen it around at several stores. ALDI has carried it for years. I'm pretty sure I've seen it at a couple of others more recently-so check your local grocery store and see what you're getting into.

Wouldn't the extra fat go rancid? That's why we use the leanest meat possible for jerky. But once I get a couple more details, I'll be making some biltong.

The fat is cured as well. Think of lardo. It's just that it's not to everyone's liking.

I like it. My South African neighbor loves it. I save the fatty bits for him.

Down at our local smallgoods delicatessen, they sell fatty and non fatty biltong.

Cheers!

Bill

I've seen it around at several stores. ALDI has carried it for years. I'm pretty sure I've seen it at a couple of others more recently-so check your local grocery store and see what you're getting into.

In general you'll find the "biltong" carried in most supermarkets is in fact closer to Jerky. As such I stay clear of the stuff. Honestly once you've had home made you'll understand. It's such a stark difference it's pretty hard to explain. It's just something you have to try and experience just one time.

One time is all it takes. Instant conversion. Instant understanding.

^^^^ Yup, that is super old school.

I was just looking for the online version of the original recipe I got from Graeme Fowler which will be listed here "somewhere" It's so old that the link is no longer working. Part of the "wayback machine" thingy and now I get a 503 error. When I get time I'll see if I can find my copy of it.

LOOKS FANTASTIC! Most Jersey is too sweet and way over cooked. In England they make Jiltong. You can look it up on the web. I do not know how to add a link. Thanks again for sharing.

Back