How to cook small steak?

jdefran

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I received a package from Omaha Steak as a Christmas present from my folks. It included top sirlion steaks and they're much smaller than any steak I typically cook.

Any suggestions on how to cook em? I was thinking in the skillet with a sear and herbed brown butter.

When they're that small they can dry out quickly, sirloin takes well to marinades so I would definitely marinade in advance, if you don't have time then use olive oil to help sear in juice. These small cuts are usually cubed or cut into strips at restaurants, they also do well in a slow cooker:http://mysweetmission.net/2013/09/southern-slow-steaks.html
Now I'm hungry for steak, lol, they have a nice color, looks good.

Grill no lid over a hot bed of coals flipping as needed until done to your liking.

I use reverse sear on those. We get them at a local butcher in cryo. they come 3/4 to 1-1/4 inch thick.

Bring them to room temp in some warm water IN THE CRYO.

Then into a 275 oven or indirect on the grill for about 10-15 mins until 110-115 internal, then hard sear direct over coals or in a HOT cast iron pan on stove top.

brush with garlic butter in the sear stage.

Grill one side,turn, then baste the top with butter while doing the other side

Yup. They are very forgiving. By that I mean that if you overcook them, they are still decent eating. Overcooking them is pretty easy given how thin they are. I have done them on the gasser and in a cast iron inside. Hit it hard and hit it fast and you will be pleasantly surprised at what you get.

That looks like a good candidate for cooking on a chimney instead of firing up the grill.

Searing over a chimney woulda worked but I had 4 of them and also cooked some shrimp in a cast iron pan on the grill.

I'd say it turned out much better than I expected. I did a dry brine at room temp for a couple hours then just did monteral steak seasoning. After removing from grill I put a slab on homemade herbed butter. On top is a onion/mushroom/red wine reduction.

Searing over a chimney woulda worked but I had 4 of them and also cooked some shrimp in a cast iron pan on the grill.

I'd say it turned out much better than I expected. I did a dry brine at room temp for a couple hours then just did monteral steak seasoning. After removing from grill I put a slab on homemade herbed butter. On top is a onion/mushroom/red wine reduction.

Well done, thats not ugly at all

Love it.

Anything under 3/4 of an inch I go to cast iron personally.

Back