Phosphate Ban

Just hypertension, arterial calcification, and kidney load in some compromised individuals - from a published scientific paper back in 2014. There's already enough crap in our environment so why add more?

If you're good enough to cook outstanding BBQ with proper amounts of added phosphates, you're good enough to cook outstanding BBQ without them:shocked:

It's those cooks who's samples bounce and feel like a Nerf basketball that are the problem. Just know some judges are refined enough to know the difference and the scores may just reflect that.:confused: What comment card? What are you talking about? What?

What about the fact that "The body needs phosphorus to build and repair bones and teeth, help nerves function, and make muscles contract. Most (about 85%) of the phosphorus contained in phosphate is found in bones."

The kidneys filter phosphates and if you have high levels its usually due to a kidney problem. Phosphate is a dietary requirement, the recommended intake is 800 mg/day, a normal diet provides between 1000 and 2000 mg/day, depending on the extent to which phosphate rich foods are consumed.

So, those injecting with phosphates are only helping you to reach your daily recommended intake. If you OD on it, stop eating more than you should. Also, it can probably be proved to you by science that an elephant can actually hang from a daisy on the side of a cliff.

Maybe I read this on a bad day but boy did it chap my arse. So tired of all the complaints of using this or not using that. Especially, from the esteemed "refined judges".

What about the fact that "The body needs phosphorus to build and repair bones and teeth, help nerves function, and make muscles contract. Most (about 85%) of the phosphorus contained in phosphate is found in bones."

The kidneys filter phosphates and if you have high levels its usually due to a kidney problem. Phosphate is a dietary requirement, the recommended intake is 800 mg/day, a normal diet provides between 1000 and 2000 mg/day, depending on the extent to which phosphate rich foods are consumed.

So, those injecting with phosphates are only helping you to reach your daily recommended intake. If you OD on it, stop eating more than you should. Also, it can probably be proved to you by science that an elephant can actually hang from a daisy on the side of a cliff.

Maybe I read this on a bad day but boy did it chap my arse. So tired of all the complaints of using this or not using that. Especially, from the esteemed "refined judges".

Very well said and thank you. I don't mean to chap any arses but perhaps that makes for good debate. And, that's what a civil discussion is all about.

To take it a step further, there's a big difference between naturally occurring short chain phosphates versus added long chain phosphates. :wacko:

Barbecue is bad for your health. I like to eat food that is bad for me. If you are worried about being healthy you are in the wrong sport. Bbq is not health food.:doh:

Bbq is artery clogging and delicious.
I eat it as much as possible. Am I concerned? Not really. It has become a staple in our house. I use MSG in my regular food now too. Just bought a bag of Phosphates from Butcher's BBQ.

If as a judge you don't know what is probably going into your food you probably don't pay enough attention to what goes on around you.

Yes people that cook great bbq can cook without that stuff but when you put out over $1,000 per contest well you take every advantage you can get.
Its just part of the game.
Heck I am going to break $1,000 by June easily. I am a very small budget team that well is going pro on the condition my wife does Not question me on spending money to buy what I need. Including phosphates and MSG. I am going to use them because I want to try to win. I don't want to be a field filler. Will I win? Probably not because of going against very experienced cooks but I don't want to roll over. It would make no sense to shoot myself in the foot by not using them. Some of the things I have done in the past were fine in the backyard contests but pro level you just have to get with the program or get left in the dust.
When I ask my family to give me free reign and drop over $1,000 then I better be doing every damn thing I can to win. Otherwise I should quit now and not waste my money and time.

My point is no phosphates should not be banned. You know what people put in the food and if you don't want to eat it well go judge a salad competition.
Healthy food is not good food. I would rather be unhealthy and happy all day long.

Thank you for your enthusiastic comments. I love MSG as well and use it all the time to enhance many of the things I cook in place of salt.

Last edited:
Since we are talking about banning, can we ban the stupid judges?

In my best Stone Cold Steve Austin voice....
"Can I Get A He!! Yeah"...
Now this is the time his theme music kicks in

Barbecue is bad for your health. I like to eat food that is bad for me. If you are worried about being healthy you are in the wrong sport. Bbq is not health food.

I beg to differ - BBQ is most certainly health food - If I don't get my BBQ fix often enough, I might snap and hurt someone, so that makes it healthy for all those around me!!:doh:

I vote to leave phosphates in (if you want) - Competition 'que has evolved into a hybrid, one bite cooking style - I doubt most pitmasters use phosphates at home, but don't hesitate to use it at a comp if they feel it helps.

Now, should we discuss the merits of Styrofoam boxes?:mrgreen:

Barbecue societies should switch to paper boxes. Much more sustainable, no bans on paper that I know of, and won't literally melt when it gets too hot.

Disclaimer: I work for a paper company

As for phosphates. People wanted to ban injections when they first came out right? I see this as the same issue. People don't like change. I mean if it was proven harmful to humans I'd say ban it. But it isn't by any credible sources as far as I know

Barbecue societies should switch to paper boxes. Much more sustainable, no bans on paper that I know of, and won't literally melt when it gets too hot.

Disclaimer: I work for a paper company

As for phosphates. People wanted to ban injections when they first came out right? I see this as the same issue. People don't like change. I mean if it was proven harmful to humans I'd say ban it. But it isn't by any credible sources as far as I know

Yeah! I love those melted spots on styrofoam foam boxes leaching gas offed PCBs into the samples...:mmph:

Since we are talking about banning, can we ban the stupid judges?

In my best Stone Cold Steve Austin voice....
"Can I Get A He!! Yeah"...
Now this is the time his theme music kicks in

Sure, why not Shiz-Nit? As long as we can ban stupid cooks on a one for one basis, I'm all for it....:clap2:

Pretty standard dialog here:

"I'm cutting back on X because it's unhealthy"

"Why? - everything will kill you"

Just for the record, that's a bad answer. You can absolutely clean up your food intake, reduce exposure to phosphates, styro, margarine, etc.

I cook clean food on fire

Back