My New Stick Burner

I purchased the Old Country Wrangler back in August and have done a few cooks on it. I have found it pretty easy to maintain temps between 230 and 260 degree by getting a coal bed with lump or briquetts and then adding a split about every 50 minutes. Here are a few pictures of mine.

I purchased the Old Country Wrangler back in August and have done a few cooks on it. I have found it pretty easy to maintain temps between 230 and 260 degree by getting a coal bed with lump or briquetts and then adding a split about every 50 minutes. Here are a few pictures of mine.

:pop2:

I notice you have some tuning plates in yours. Does the wrangler come with any type of baffle at all or will I need to have some tuning plates made to get a more even heat distribution?

Nice first stick burner. I cut my teeth on way cheaper pits than this before I threw down serious cash for my Horizon. You'll know when to move up in pit if you get serious enough or just with what you've got. Enjoy.

I notice you have some tuning plates in yours. Does the wrangler come with any type of baffle at all or will I need to have some tuning plates made to get a more even heat distribution?

There is a baffle but I found the temparture to be around to be hotter on the exhaust side so I made the turning plates now the temps are pretty much even across the grates.

After reading Aaron Franklin's new book and his description of his preferred design of an offset smoker(grate level stack exhaust,1/4 inch metal,round firebox) the old country seems to be the closest thing I've found. Or are there others I'm missing?

Wow, that's a good price for a 3/16" unit. Looks solid too, hope it treats you well!

After reading Aaron Franklin's new book and his description of his preferred design of an offset smoker(grate level stack exhaust,1/4 inch metal,round firebox) the old country seems to be the closest thing I've found. Or are there others I'm missing?

There are many but it's the most available of the less expensive ones.

that is a great first pit at a great cost. you will enjoy it for a long time.

There are many but it's the most available of the less expensive ones.

Can you give me a few examples? What seems to be the hardest feature to find is the grate level exhaust pipe. The Old Country is the only mass produced one I have found. Price isn't really an issue but I like a good buy as much as anybody.

Can you give me a few examples? What seems to be the hardest feature to find is the grate level exhaust pipe. The Old Country is the only mass produced one I have found. Price isn't really an issue but I like a good buy as much as anybody.

I've seen local builds for sure, mass produced not sure but grate exhaust is not a major improvement . As long as exhaust and intakes dozing and hope from FB to cook chamber produce Good Airflow n Draft. I've cooked on the Old Country Wrangler and Pecos and didn't see any Difference from cooking on the Walmart Ok Joes LongHorn.

3/16" vs 1/4" are gonna cook close to the same ( if pits same otherwise) - you might add wood at 40 minutes instead of 50 minutes.

Back