totally Raw/uncooked turn in @ Troy Pig Out, Troy NY, 7/20,14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but that's hard to believe. How can you just show up to judge and manage to cook all that in that little time? In my area judges typically meet around 10 AM. Turn in starts at noon. How did you turn everything in on time without using another team's already cooked meat?

I was there a day early on Saturday because I was helping the organizer set things up and that's when they discovered they were a team short. So we got to scrambling to find all the stuff and by 6 pm I was heating up the smoker. Got the butt going by 8pm.

I have a "deer staring into the headlights" reaction to this entire thread.

My two cents. ... intentional manipulation is disgraceful and a black eye for all competitors, judge's, reps, and sanctioning bodies. Little incidents such as this snowball into larger issues, and all the hard work and sacrifice completed by those that paved the way for competition bbq to become what it has, becomes a tragedy.

Last edited:
What is in question here? The meat was "totally raw (uncooked at all)" and The Jack criteria requires the meat to be "cooked".

Debate the fairness or logic of the criteria all you want but it is pretty clear that the required criteria wasn't met by all 25 teams in all categories.

Maybe it was cold smoked! hahaha

I like how almost all of the people in this thread were nowhere near this contest.

Darryll is a nice guy and tried his best in his first contest. I believe he was planning to cook chicken and ribs even before a team broke down and backed out on their way to the contest. I was told be several people that they were expecting 26 teams.

Yes, he never competed before. We tried to give him some advice along the way. Including his chicken box that he originally had only some pulled meat and a single chicken wing in it.

To my knowledge, he did try and cook the butt. I'm not sure Darryll even had a thermapen (yes, I realize this would be an issue also and I'm only speculating). My teammate went over to check on him. His butt was on the WSM and did look under-cooked. He stuck his thermapen in it and it was 90-something. He told Daryl he needed to get the fire up immediately or it wouldn't be done in time. Apparently the advice wasn't heeded.

There is no conspiracy here. Sounds to me like the turn-in was judged appropriately.

The Lovely's are fantastic reps. Erin ran a great contest. If there are areas for improvement (and we shared this with her via email) it would be in the way they ran People's Choice and have the bathroom stalls cleaned well before 10am.

I like how almost all of the people in this thread were nowhere near this contest.

Darryll is a nice guy and tried his best in his first contest. I believe he was planning to cook chicken and ribs even before a team broke down and backed out on their way to the contest. I was told be several people that they were expecting 26 teams.

Yes, he never competed before. We tried to give him some advice along the way. Including his chicken box that he originally had only some pulled meat and a single chicken wing in it.

To my knowledge, he did try and cook the butt. I'm not sure Darryll even had a thermapen (yes, I realize this would be an issue also and I'm only speculating). My teammate went over to check on him. His butt was on the WSM and did look under-cooked. He stuck his thermapen in it and it was 90-something. He told Daryl he needed to get the fire up immediately or it wouldn't be done in time. Apparently the advice wasn't heeded.

There is no conspiracy here. Sounds to me like the turn-in was judged appropriately.

The Lovely's are fantastic reps. Erin ran a great contest. If there are areas for improvement (and we shared this with her via email) it would be in the way they ran People's Choice and have the bathroom stalls cleaned well before 10am.

No conspiracy but plenty of hurt ego..... now we have a real dilemma on this thread! Either the OP is a liar or cannot tell the difference between raw or undercooked meat or those defending the cook and pork turn-in.

Microwaving popcorn and easing back in the recliner to await furthering developments.

He's on second.

Sorry for the sarcasm by my other personality. He is the side of me that has issues with playing well with others while in the sandbox. :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

I guess it depends on where the line is drawn, or how much you are willing to allow it to be bent. There are cases where equipment has been pooled, or somebody cooked chicken on a kettle, or some cooks contributed leftover meat to be turned in etc...

No matter where it's drawn, there will be one or more people that will test it.

Ehh....I used to cook chicken on a kettle. Got a 7th place call on a kettle.

In my first competition I was told by the rep it is better to turn in a box of raw meat than to turn in no box at all. He said to tell them when you turned it in it wasn't cooked and shouldn't be eaten. He said the worst you will get is 2's and that is better than being DQ'd.

Ehh....I used to cook chicken on a kettle. Got a 7th place call on a kettle.

The point was that in the past teams were manufactured to create a qualifier by loaning a cook a kettle, and having them turn in chicken only. If the cooker is legal, I don't care what somebody cooks on.

CAUSES FOR DISQUALIFICATION & EVICTION of a team, its members and/or guests: A cook team is responsible jointly and severally for its head cook, its team members and its guests.

g. Theft, dishonesty, cheating, use of prohibited meats, or any act involving moral turpitude.

Moral turpitude is a legal concept in the United States and some other countries that refers to "conduct that is considered contrary to community standards of justice, honesty or good morals."[1] This term appears in U.S. immigration law beginning in the 19th century.[2]

The concept of "moral turpitude" might escape precise definition, but it has been described as an "act of baseness, vileness, or depravity in the private and social duties which a man owes to his fellowmen, or to society in general, contrary to the accepted and customary rule of right and duty between man and man."[3]

Last edited:
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]The Man In The Glass [/FONT]Peter Dale Wimbrow Sr.

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
And see what that man has to say.

For it isn’t your father, or mother, or wife
Whose judgment upon you must pass
The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the one staring back from the glass.

He’s the fellow to please – never mind all the rest
For he’s with you, clear to the end
And you’ve passed your most difficult, dangerous test
If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.

I looked at that teams scores online. They clearly cooked the other 3 entries although not too well. I don't see this as cheating.

CAUSES FOR DISQUALIFICATION & EVICTION of a team, its members and/or guests: A cook team is responsible jointly and severally for its head cook, its team members and its guests.

g. Theft, dishonesty, cheating, use of prohibited meats, or any act involving moral turpitude.

Moral turpitude is a legal concept in the United States and some other countries that refers to "conduct that is considered contrary to community standards of justice, honesty or good morals."[1] This term appears in U.S. immigration law beginning in the 19th century.[2]

The concept of "moral turpitude" might escape precise definition, but it has been described as an "act of baseness, vileness, or depravity in the private and social duties which a man owes to his fellowmen, or to society in general, contrary to the accepted and customary rule of right and duty between man and man."[3]

You need to get your melon checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back