THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chrischandler71

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Chris
I bought these from fresh market today right after they came off roaster. I can't seem to get the skin off of these. Any ideas? I have been eating all the ones I have tried so far. They taste damn good!

78D19A46-37FF-481A-A503-68A76339AC88.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I agree... looks like they have been steamed and not charred. When the skin is charred black, they are easier to peel.

Thanks Jeanie and Tom. I will do some batches in the skillet. What is the purpose of taking off the skin? They tasted pretty darn good to me with the skin on?

Thanks Jeanie and Tom. I will do some batches in the skillet. What is the purpose of taking off the skin? They tasted pretty darn good to me with the skin on?

The skin can be tough in some recipes. It's really just a matter of preference. Kinda like taking the membrane off of ribs...some folks do it and some don't. :grin:

Doesn't look very roasted to me, that may be the problem. This is the batch I picked up today.

IMG_20160827_151805.jpg

Last edited:
Wet fingers grip the skin while peeling. I peel over a bowl of water, with a paring knife in my peeling hand. I dunk my hands in water frequently to both clean chile skin off my hands, as well as renew my grip to peel chiles. I never rinse chiles in water. Dave

If you are happy with the texture you could warm them up. While still warm, put them in a zip top bag and seal it up. Let it cool It will loosen the skin. We do it with poblano peppers all the time.

The chiles in the first photograph are not roasted far enough. Generally, you want the chile skin charred black and blistered. Even the second photo with the partially charred chiles really haven't been roasted long enough. Those chiles will be difficult to peel in the uncharred areas unless they've been allowed to steam.

We just did 80 pounds of chile this past Friday, and all of the chile was roasted far more than what is shown in the second photo. We get our chile directly from a farm. They use propane, wire-basket, rotary drum roasters with direct flames on the chile. They generally roast the chile for about 15 minutes and then dump it into large plastic bags where it steams as you drive home.

The chiles are thoroughly charred and blistered, and by the time you start removing the skins, it will almost fall off of the chile just from handling it.

If you take the hot, charred chile and put them between damp towels and steam them, or put them in plastic bags and steam them until they're just slightly warm, the skin should come off easily.

There are two reasons for taking the skin off of the chile. In some uses, the skin turns bitter as it cooks. Secondly, the skin is tough and if you leave it on the pepper, as the chile cooks it will separate from the meat of the chile and you'll have these tough, unpalatable skins in the food.

I use my weed burner and char them up on both sides then chuck them into a ziplock. Works like a charm.

Back