granite canner for charcoal basket

outback32

Found some matches.
Reaction score
the wife has several of the water bath canners around. was wondering what you guys thought about making a basket out of them.

Not sure the holes will be big enough to allow air to the fire, especially after some ash builds up. You could drill larger holes which would make it work better I guess. I also don't know if this strainer you are talking about will be big enough, but I am not familiar with it.
Dave

If it is made of aluminum, it may not hold up to the heat, especially if it is drilled full of holes.

Omar

the wife has several of the water bath canners around. was wondering what you guys thought about making a basket out of them.
Are you talking about one of the large blue and white speckled pots used for canning?
If so, as far as I know, they are steel, coated with enamel. Drilling one is going to chip the enamel and the thin steel would rust quickly I think. May not be worth the effort.

There's a guy on Craigslist in my area that advertises that he makes grates for your pit. I asked him if he could make a charcoal/wood firebox for my offset...17"x13"x2" with 2" legs on it. He made it for $20 out of expanded metal and angle iron. Not the cheap expanded metal at the "Home" supply store. Maybe there's a dude near you that can make one for you.

I can make one myself i just seen one of these canners sitting around and wondered if it would work. I looked and it says its made of steel and porcelain

Yeah that expanded steel used in firebaskets is 9 guage.
It's hard to roll up. Found mine in a steel shop, no way the box stores have this stuff in 9 guage.

Back