My Hatch Chile roast (tutorial of sorts)

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Hey gang,

So finally got a chace to roast my hatch chiles yesterday when I managed to have the rest of the day off from work. Here's how I did it and this may help or give an idea to someone else who wants to roast about 25lbs+ in no time.

Chiles

20140820_145453.jpg

Coco briqs or whatever lump/briqs of your choice

20140820_145445.jpg

My custom Stainless skewers for my open face home made pit

20140820_145844.jpg

Skewer the peppers

20140820_152145.jpg

20140820_152149.jpg

Coals are ready

20140820_155742.jpg

Peppers go on

20140820_155907.jpg

Flip em a few times and make sure not to burn them

20140820_161318.jpg

As soon as they go from the bright/vibrant green to a dull green color they are done.

20140820_161709.jpg

Get a nice heavy duty trash bag and dump em in there so they can sort of steam. This step helps top take the skin off effortlessly.

20140820_161357.jpg

Oh yeah baby

20140820_164106.jpg

Now you get a bowl of iced water or cold water and take the steaming hot chiles out of the bag and dip it in the water to cool it down and this also aides in the skin coming off in one shot.

20140820_170758.jpg

Like so

20140820_170741.jpg

And peeling is done

20140820_174220.jpg

20140820_174226.jpg

Vac packed to freeze

20140820_192723.jpg

20140820_192742.jpg

Had to have a few with dinner

20140820_193533.jpg

That looks phenomenal! I can already think of all the uses I would have for those.

Looks great! Did something similar ... my wife ended up canning / pickling several too.

Wheredya get your chiles? Here local somewhere?

Thanks Tricky,

I actually got it from Sprouts. My local Albertsons had them as well but I didn't like as it seemed they had them out for a while and there were quite a few that went bad.

My neighorhood Sprouts didn't sell me a box becuase they said there were short. I ended up called the next closest Sprouts and the produce manager told me to come on down and get a box. I paid $22 for 25lbs+ box.

Thanks for the tutorial! I can see a few missed steps from when I tried this...

And how hot are the Hatches after they have been roasted?
Looks really tasty.

And how hot are the Hatches after they have been roasted?
Looks really tasty.

These were medium heat and they still retained the same amount of heat prior to roasting.

Have you looked into the nemoro uno stores? They cater to the hispanic community and have tons of different types of fresh chilies.

I was blown away at the selection of different types of foods available at that market chain.

Here are some photos I took last month while at that store.
IMG_1241_zps78cf20f7.jpg

IMG_1242_zpsd13bde6d.jpg

IMG_1238_zpsbeb87671.jpg

IMG_1237_zps6be0fe49.jpg

Very good call Ray. Yep! The Hispanic stores rock around here.

You're doing the Lords work. Amen

Is it a sin that I just did my peppers on my gasser? Also, the guy at HEB recommended letting them sit / steam longer. I let them sit on the counter for a couple hours and then put them in the fridge. Next day I did the peeling. Wasn't too difficult, only a couple places where I didn't get a good enough sear.

Is it a sin that I just did my peppers on my gasser? Also, the guy at HEB recommended letting them sit / steam longer. I let them sit on the counter for a couple hours and then put them in the fridge. Next day I did the peeling. Wasn't too difficult, only a couple places where I didn't get a good enough sear.

Yep! You let them sit a bit and it doesn't really have to be that long. I just let them sit until I took the last batch off. I say about 30-40 total sitting time in the bag.

I actually feel a little bad that I didn't use lump:rolleyes: but I wanted to use up the remainder of the Coshell briqs. Gas??? No way. Just kidding!:thumb:

Thanks for the tip. My local Sprouts has them in right now (I grabbed a few pounds last night) and this weekend they're going to set up a roaster in their parking lot and sell them roasted. The produce guy said there is a large horizontal perforated drum (he described it like one of the items they use to spin lottery tickets in for a drawing) that roates over a propane burner. He says that he has heard (but this will be his first time doing it) that the chiles not only roast in the drum but the rotation and friction of the chiles on each other actually removes their skins as well.

May be worth a stop to see the process.

Thanks for the tip. My local Sprouts has them in right now (I grabbed a few pounds last night) and this weekend they're going to set up a roaster in their parking lot and sell them roasted. The produce guy said there is a large horizontal perforated drum (he described it like one of the items they use to spin lottery tickets in for a drawing) that roates over a propane burner. He says that he has heard (but this will be his first time doing it) that the chiles not only roast in the drum but the rotation and friction of the chiles on each other actually removes their skins as well.

May be worth a stop to see the process.

Glad you found some. You can check you tube on how they roast. It's a drum made from expanded metal and connected to a propane tank.

Never thought of using a skewer :doh:. Would make these roasts much easier! Can't beat this time of year. Below is about 1/3 of my haul. Have a nice freezer full!
picture.php

Back