Spare ribs, trimmed St. Louis style, leave'm whole, something else?

How do you prepare your spares

• Trim to St. Louis style

Votes: 39 66.1%
  • Cook untrimmed

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • Something else

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AClarke44

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide how I wanna cook my 3 racks of spares this weekend. I've left them whole before and they seemed more juicy. But trimming them St. Louis style seems to be the more "accepted" way. I've read because they cook more evenly that way. This is the way I've done it most.

So, what do you do? Whole, or St Louis? Or do you do something else? Let's hear it!

I do St. Louis since 90%of the time I am cooking for competitions and St. Louis looks better in the box. Plus, the rib tip can be used for beans or as chef's snacks :thumb:

Wow you were fast Ron! I added a poll. It's my first so go easy on me....lol.

If I'm having them for myself,I do whole. If the family or friends come over,I do St Louis....mainly for the presentation. Besides that....I can get whole ribs for anywhere from $1 to $2 dollars less a lb.

If I'm having them for myself,I do whole. If the family or friends come over,I do St Louis....mainly for the presentation. Besides that....I can get whole ribs for anywhere from $1 to $2 dollars less a lb.

Do you notice any difference in the way they cook. Do the untrimmed spares cool pretty evenly?
I've only cooked untrimmed spares once and didn't notice anything weird. But I trimmed them into st Louis style afterwards. I remember they seemed more juicy.
I was thinking about doing that again this weekend but I didn't wanna run into issues with uneven cooking. This will be the first time I've cooked more than one rack at a time.

Do you notice any difference in the way they cook. Do the untrimmed spares cool pretty evenly?
I've only cooked untrimmed spares once and didn't notice anything weird. But I trimmed them into st Louis style afterwards. I remember they seemed more juicy.
I was thinking about doing that again this weekend but I didn't wanna run into issues with uneven cooking. This will be the first time I've cooked more than one rack at a time.

I really don't see much difference. But I would say if your more used to St Louis style,that's the way to go. Experiment some other time.

I really don't see much difference. But I would say if your more used to St Louis style,that's the way to go. Experiment some other time.

You are probably right. But I've only cooked one rack in the PBC. It's a new cooker for me.

What you guys are saying about the trimmed I can relate to. The full spares did seem more flavorful. ..

Ever try Kansas city cut? Basically just square up the rack. Its a compromise between untrimmed and St Louis cut.

I usually do St Louis myself. Leaves more for me as the commoners are afraid of the tips around here

Ever try Kansas city cut? Basically just square up the rack. Its a compromise between untrimmed and St Louis cut.

I usually do St Louis myself. Leaves more for me as the commoners are afraid of the tips around here

No I haven't! Thanks for the idea though. I was planning to trim off the tips anyway because I thought they may be too long to hang in the PBC. I'll check into the KC cut. :thumb:

I just bought two racks and no trim. Normally I trim to St. Louis. Experiment time.

I buy the spares make them St. Louis and smoke it all, like someone mentioned snacks for the chef

When cooking them for myself to eat at home, I don't trim a thing. Cut them out of the pack, pull the membrane, season and throw them on. I'm sure it's all in my head but I swear they taste better to me untrimmed. I love the flap the most. When cooking events or doing demonstration events, yes I trim them for presentation purposes and to illustrate how to trim them.

When cooking them for myself to eat at home, I don't trim a thing. Cut them out of the pack, pull the membrane, season and throw them on. I'm sure it's all in my head but I swear they taste better to me untrimmed. I love the flap the most. When cooking events or doing demonstration events, yes I trim them for presentation purposes and to illustrate how to trim them.

Thank you! I agree with you about flavor. I've only done it once but the one time I didn't trim I could swear they tasted better. I did cut off the flap though. How did you remove the membrane and not the flap?
I also can't remember, do you experience and uneven cooking when you don't trim?

How did you remove the membrane and not the flap?
I also can't remember, do you experience and uneven cooking when you don't trim?

I use a 4" fillet knife and a pair of catfish skinners.
No sir, they have always cooked just fine when left untrimmed.

Yeah, like so....

Pre-StuporBowl001.jpg

didn't know they had a name until Bludawg told me they did.....just makes sense to knock off the head bone & the little frilly stuff that dries out too easy.....
I tend to try keeping the thickest area toward the fire & they come out pretty even.....

Pre-StuporBowl088.jpg

Yeah, like so....

Pre-StuporBowl001.jpg

didn't know they had a name until Bludawg told me they did.....just makes sense to knock off the head bone & the little frilly stuff that dries out too easy.....
I tend to try keeping the thickest area toward the fire & they come out pretty even.....

Pre-StuporBowl088.jpg

Can always count on some great looking pron from you Buckie! That's basically what I was thinking in my head I would do. Seeing it done, I think I my just give it a try!

Thanks! :thumb:

Back