53 Day dry aged ribeye subprimal--The breakdown

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Some of you may remember the whole bone in ribeye I started dry aging in December. I had planned on 45 days but couldn't get to the hacking and packing until day 53 which was tonight.

I've done a few in the past but i processed this a little different as opposed to just cutting it into cowboy steaks.

Some stats if you care:

17lb 7oz ribeye

15lb 2oz pre-trim

13lb 4oz total yield

4lb 3oz total loss (weight and trim)

$8.99/lb pre dry age

$11.82/lb post dry age

Here's the BREAKDOWN so to speak:

Started with a 17lb 7oz CAB Prime bone in ribeye subprimal

QBtQgcBh.png

Umai bagged to dry age in

8zRHnBGh.png

At Day 53

tg3yIUMh.png

First I removed the membrane

oRKVVeIh.png

Trimmed the desiccated outer "shell" starting fat cap side

vAJnzkBh.png

Worked my way around

m3fCeRgh.png

Cut it into a 3 bone loin-end and a 4 bone chuck-end

hvpjLw3h.png

Awesome marbling but pics don't do it justice. The lighting screws up the wagyu-like veins of fat that are more visible in person.

yiyviLqh.png

The chuck-end being broken down as follows

0YECZPbh.png

Removed the bones first

VZT8bpjh.png

6XPCC6jh.png

Ribs for BBQ

UEegSazh.png

cdMaUMNh.png

Next I removed the ribeye cap (spinalis dorsi) by simply pulling it. A lot of places sell these separate now and it definitely is one of the best parts of the ribeye. I'm cooking that "separate" obviously. :thumb:

yl3IJYCh.png

Then I cut the "eye: into six 1 1/2" steaks

TCYEfyuh.png

And of course the BREAKDOWN consisting of:

A 3 bone loin-end prime rib

6 eye steaks

1 ribeye cap

4 bone rack of of ribs

qCJBvpTh.png

The precious prime rib for Easter :hungry:

NfeIrswh.png

Packed and ready to get labeled

N80fWsmh.png

Thanks for looking!

Amazing process. Very cool.

another method I must try.How much different does the process make?

Thanks for sharing :clap::clap::clap:

Wow that turned out great! I'm going to see if costco has them and dry age one also. I've never used the bags before, do you like them better than just going without one?

Sako, thanks for taking the time to write this up in such great detail! It's precisely threads like this that make this site one of the best cooking resources available. The meat looks divine, I'm finally convinced that I need to try this. Now to try and find some $9 prime graded prime rib.....

Well done, sir! You're going to be eating well for a while!

Fantastic! I AM going to do this one day :-D

Thanks for the detailed post!

Thank you for the tutorial and pic's :thumb:

I've always been tempted to separate the deckle but I always have that part for "dessert" when I have me a ribeye. Great post!

Very Nice I need to try this I have an vertical Vac Sealer Am I right that does not work well with those bags

Outstanding Sako, great post!
I cut up my 45 day dry aged ribeye last night, can't wait to taste it.
Thank you again for your dry age info, I wouldn't have tried it if not for seeing your posts. :thumb:

You and Cowgirl have definitely talked me into this. Thanks for the great post. I have got to have that spinalis.

I was gonna say the same as everyone here...you and Cowgirl have definitely given me the courage to try this!

I'm getting my bags in the mail today, so yesterday I went to Costco and bought a 13 pound boneless prime ribeye subprimal in the cryovac. $9.29 per pound in case people are tracking prices. I'm also going to go back and get a prime strip loin subprimal soon...they had choice for $6.29/lb, but I figure the prime won't be that much more (should be less than the ribeye). Considering I just bought a couple prime NY strip steaks from Safeway at $22.99/lb, I have a lot of mental space to work with in terms of cost for these subprimals.

Anyways, waiting 45 days for the meat to age is the perfect activity for me and my current dieting regimen. Thanks again to ssv and Cowgirl and everyone else!

Cool. I wondered if the beef ribs would get to desiccated to cook.

Back