How hard is it to make a BBQ Sauce?

OK, guys, without more definitions from our infinitely colorful funkster, this is the best translation I can do:

Start with the liquid ingredients FIRST. Vinegar, water, olive oil, worcestershire sauce, beer etc, the really watery stuff. DO NOT put in your mustards, ketchup, or tomato sauce in at this stage.

Bring thin liquids to a boil first and give them the HeatWave with the SPICES first and for only five minutes. This infuses the spices and makes them funky in your funky stank thang. You do not want to leave at a boil for too long or it will evaporate.

Next add your sugars, your brown sugars but not your corn syrups, maple syrups, honey, Grace Jones, Moms Mabley or nuthin at this stage either. The point is to get the brown sugar or white sugar to melt into the nectar of spices and liquids you made.

This needs to come down to a simmer so you can add your mustards and your ketchup or tomato sauce at this time. Continue to simmer for awhile.

The final additions of your pectin based funk should be added last. Corn syrup, jams, jellies, syrups and joo joos can be added last.

Once this is done, so sauce is complete unless you gave it time to break out in a cold sweat.

OK, guys, without more definitions from our infinitely colorful funkster, this is the best translation I can do:

Start with the liquid ingredients FIRST. Vinegar, water, olive oil, worcestershire sauce, beer etc, the really watery stuff. DO NOT put in your mustards, ketchup, or tomato sauce in at this stage.

Bring thin liquids to a boil first and give them the HeatWave with the SPICES first and for only five minutes. This infuses the spices and makes them funky in your funky stank thang. You do not want to leave at a boil for too long or it will evaporate.

Next add your sugars, your brown sugars but not your corn syrups, maple syrups, honey, Grace Jones, Moms Mabley or nuthin at this stage either. The point is to get the brown sugar or white sugar to melt into the nectar of spices and liquids you made.

This needs to come down to a simmer so you can add your mustards and your ketchup or tomato sauce at this time. Continue to simmer for awhile.

The final additions of your pectin based funk should be added last. Corn syrup, jams, jellies, syrups and joo joos can be added last.

Once this is done, so sauce is complete unless you gave it time to break out in a cold sweat.
WTF? That's more like Milli-Vanilli!

Start with the liquid ingredients FIRST. Aretha Franklin, Billy Ocean, Frank Sinatra, Sir Duke, Billy Dee Williams etc, the really watery stuff. DO NOT put in your Fred Wesleys, Sly Stone or Family Stones in at this stage.

Bring thin liquids to a mother popcorn first and give them the HeatWave with the SPICES first and for only 3rd of a Fifteen Minute Man. This infuses the spices and makes them funky in your funky stank thang. You do not want to leave at a popcorn for too long or it will evaporate.

Next add your Little Richards, your James Browns but not your Jackie Wilsons, Aunt Jemima's, your Taste of Honey, Grace Jones, Moms Mabley or nuthin at this stage either. The point is to get James or Little Richard to melt into the nectar of spices and liquids you made.

This needs to come down to a Phillip Bailey so you can add your Wesley's and your Sly or family stone at this time. Make this funky, close the high hat up and back off your mic for a while.

The final additions of your pectin based funk should be added last. Jackie, jams, jellies, jamimas and joo joos can be added last.

Looks like some Widespread Panic to me! :-D

Now you went and did it! You get started making sauces you may never stop, but it's a good diversion from making rubs and cooking BBQ!

Nobody mentioned Mole butts... I'm surprised.

Molasses makes a great addition to a tomato-based sauce. It sweetens and thickens at the same time. Plus it adds a nice dark, rich flavor that you don't get with just brown sugar or syrups.

Mayretter, I too enjoy the sauce of a mustard persuasion on occasion. However, we're
in a minority.

I've had pretty good reviews on this sauce:

Tomato Sauce
Pure Cane Syrup
Grape Jelly (Yep, not a typo)
Lee & Perins Worchestershire
a little cayenne pepper

Mayretter, I too enjoy the sauce of a mustard persuasion on occasion. However, we're
in a minority.

I love a good S. Carolina Mustard Sauce. It's just that most folks in my vicinity aren't familiar with 'em, so I don't use them too much.

If it's not sweet, thick, tomatoey and sticky, then it ain't barbecue sauce.:icon_smil

Question for The Funky One...

Is Family Stone regular tomato paste?

Making a sauce is easy. Making a great sauce, now that's not so easy. Probably the best place to start is look in a BBQ cookbook. Mike Mills' book "Peace, Love and BBQ", my current favorite, has some great recipes. And some great stories. Chris Lilly's book is good too. After following some recipes and seeing how things come together, modify the recipe and add in flavors, spices, herbs that you like. Experimentation is the key.

I couldn't agree more!

Whatever you do, when you are making a sauce, document your ingrediants and amounts etc. THeres nothing worse than coming up with a great sauce only to realize you didnt write the recipe down.

Back